Film Review – Crumbs (Mayhem 2015)

It’s not every day you get to watch an Ethiopian sci-fi/horror road-trip. For this reason alone, Crumbs is an utterly unique experience. Miguel Llanso has directed many short-films (Where is my Dog, Pero Liquen, First Peasant on Mars), but this is his feature-length debut. Whilst there are a few teething troubles, for the most part, Crumbs is a successful blend of sci-fi, humour and downright weird.

The majority of characters remain nameless. Except for the protagonists’ ‘pet-names’, we have little to label characters with. Set in a post-apocalyptic world, our first glimpse of life is a physically disfigured Ethiopian man. The individual is hunched over, leaving him shorter than average. All around him is a barren wasteland. As a considerable trek, he’s met by his beloved. The man, Candy (Daniel Tadesse), and his sweetheart, Birdie (Selam Tesfayie) live in an abandoned bowling alley. However, with a spaceship hovering outside, their safety isn’t guaranteed. This drives Candy to embark on a journey for the mysterious ‘witch’. With her help, he hopes to see into the future, whilst finding a way to protect them both.

Perhaps the film’s best selling point are its visuals. Budgets hardly matter when the landscape is so alien. The opening shot is what appears to be a drained reef, with coral-like structures on every surface. It’s hard to imagine such a place existing on Earth, but nonetheless, there it is. The following landscapes are no less stunning. Everything, from an abandoned railway to a forest playground, adds to the suitably desolate atmosphere.

It’s a shame that the dialogue and plot aren’t quite up the same high standard. This is not a film aiming for complete coherence, which is equal parts virtue and flaw. On the one hand, Llanso’s lack of explanation allows plenty of time for those luscious visuals. Candy and Birdie also receive considerable screen-time, but each suffers from some bizarre characterisation. For instance, throughout the film Candy believes he’s an alien from outer-space. True, he looks different, but he’s still human…right? Birdie’s character is equally incoherent. On the one hand, she’s devastated over Candy’s departure, but also spends her time fantasising over another man. Admittedly, the films is translated into English, but even this doesn’t explain the complete contradictions.

The cinematography can also prove a little irritating. Whether it’s due to the lower budget or a deliberate artistic decision, many shots have a shaky camera. It’s not quite Hunger Games, but the shudder often distracts from the ominous beauty present on-screen. In a film where visuals are key, this is a great shame.

“Llanso’s lack of explanation allows plenty of time for those luscious visuals”

In spite of this, anyone viewing Crumbs is unlikely to think of it as time wasted. After all, do we really need to understand something, in order to enjoy it? The answer is no. Yes, the plot will make your head spin. True, its incoherence is somewhat baffling. But this is a film to be experienced, and not thought about too deeply. With a brain-in-neutral approach, there’s a lot to appreciate, not least of all those stunning visuals! Not everyone will be entirely satisfied, but then again, when is that ever the case? And at the end of the day, who else can say they’ve watched an Ethiopian, sci-fi, horror?

6/10

Joe Jones

Click here for more Film Reviews

Get in touch with us via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment below