Nottingham

Joy for UoN Canoe Polo as They Win Varsity Match in Style on Super Wednesday

University of Nottingham’s (UoN) Canoe Polo team made it successive Varsity wins with a comprehensive 9-2 demolition of Nottingham Trent (NTU) at the pool during Super Wednesday.

Poolside, it was clear that UoN were a class apart from start to finish; their finishing was notably deadly. Trent huffed and puffed but couldn’t consistently find a way past UoN’s impressive goalkeeper, who made a string of fine stops to keep the away-side in check.

UoN went into Varsity on the back of some electrifying form; only two weeks ago they came away from Cardiff University’s Canoe Polo Championships victorious out of seventeen universities in total.

Their recent form and confidence was quickly evident as UoN started the game brightly, finding themselves camped inside the NTU half, firmly setting the tone for what was to follow. The early pressure didn’t have long to tell as UoN grabbed two early goals to settle any lingering nerves.

After UoN grabbed a quick-fire third, it looked as if they would quickly run away with it. Any thoughts of that happening were swiftly quelled, as NTU pulled one back to leave the score line 3-1 in favour of the hosts.

The next few minutes continued to ebb and flow, UoN struck a fourth but straight from the restart NTU hit back again. UoN scored a fifth just before the break, which proved to be a huge goal as it seemed to break the existing will of the visitors. The difference between a two and a three-goal lead going into half-time proved to massive as NTU heads dropped in the second half.

NTU conceded either side of half time as UoN scored a sixth to give them what looked like an unassailable lead. That is how it proved, as the sixth was swiftly followed by a seventh as UoN’s difference in class firmly began to show.

And then came the moment of the match, UoN’s number four picked up the ball fifteen or so yards away from goal and launched an unstoppable shot into the top corner of the goal, leaving the hapless NTU goalkeeper with no chance.

The most disappointing thing from a UoN point of view was that they didn’t reach double figures, which they looked destined to after adding a ninth with still five minutes to go. Perhaps taking pity on their beleaguered opponents, the last few minutes meandered towards the finishing hooter.

Trent for their part kept fighting, but they were simply up against a team who were simply too good. While it was revealed to Impact that UoN were sporting new canoe’s this year, it was their finishing in front of goal that truly stood out. If one was to look at attempts at goal, the stats would be pretty even, but UoN were simply far more clinical.

UoN’s victory secured another vital point on a blockbuster day of action at DRSV (David Ross Sports Village) as UoN stretched their overall lead throughout the day.

Final Score : University of Nottingham 9-2 Nottingham Trent University

Joe Robinson

Images courtesy of Impact Images Team

Follow @ImpactVarsity17 on Twitter and Like Impact Sport on Facebook

NottinghamSportVarsityVarsity