Happening on Campus

Humans of University of Nottingham

International Students’ Network (ISN) is shedding light on the experiences of International students by creating the project Humans of University of Nottingham (UoN).

The initiative, built on the model of Humans of New York, was devised by SU International Students’ Officer Hemanth Kalathuru, and is run by the ISN.

“We want to communicate unique aspects of different cultures and let everyone know there are so many interesting [and] wonderful things around us”, says Anna Emese Takacs, a second-year International Economics student from Hungary, who is also one of the creators of Humans of UoN.

“We want to communicate unique aspects of different cultures”

So far, the creators have shared only one post on their Facebook and Instagram pages, but have gained many followers.

Tala Alhreish, a third-year Law student from Palestine and also a creator of the page, told Impact: “We got a lot of likes in the first few days, even before we posted anything. People are really interested in the page.”

Tala explained that the plan is to first interview members from each cultural society in the University, “It’s starting by showcasing different cultures, the global aspect of Nottingham.”

“We want to expand Humans of UoN, starting with International Students but making it accessible to everyone”

In addition, the creators hope the page can bridge the divide between international and home students. “The beauty of ISN is that it is open to everyone. We want to expand Humans of UoN, starting with International Students but making it accessible to everyone”, comments Anna.

Speaking of the future of Humans of UoN, Tala said: “Hopefully, it’s something that will last and become a bit of a legacy at Nottingham.”

Goda Naujokaitytè

Featured image courtesy of ‘Matt Buck’ via Flickr. License here.
Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter for more updates and information on how to get involved.

Happening on CampusNews