A royal visit from Prince Charles to UNMC

As part of his traditional Autumn Tour, His Royal Highness Prince Charles prioritised a visit to the University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus (UNMC).

Whilst at the campus, His Royal Highness interacted with both staff and students to learn more about the University’s work on sustainability and environmental education.

University of Nottingham Malaysia CEO and Provost, Professor Graham Kendall, vocalised his pleasure in hosting His Royal Highness.

“[This] is another milestone at the University as we host the Prince of Wales during his maiden visit to one of the first British campuses outside of the UK, and we are very pleased to have an opportunity for our staff and students to have a royal encounter with the Prince of Wales.”

“Graduates from our China and Malaysia campuses have serious potential for influence”

The University of Nottingham (UoN) prides itself in being a global university with campuses in both Malaysia and China.

It has almost been 18 years since the UoN opened its Malaysian campus in the capital Kuala Lumpur, becoming the first British university to have grounds on foreign soil.

In addition, 2004 saw the opening of the University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) campus, China’s first western university campus.

The relationship between both overseas campuses and the UoN have bolstered over the years with more than 25 per cent of UoN students being based in China and Malaysia.

“[This] is another milestone at the University as we host the Prince of Wales during his maiden visit”

The Pro-Chancellor and President of the UoN Council, John Mills, believes that graduates from these campuses can bring larger contributions to the University’s alumni fundraising campaign that receives charitable donations from former students.

“Our current alumni fundraising campaign has worked well. However, a truly international university can’t just rely on UK alumni to be the influential wealth-creators of the future.

“Graduates from our China and Malaysia campuses have serious potential for influence. They will be powerful alumni in future years. And a powerful alumni base will create a powerful global university.”

Amirah de Bourg

Featured image courtesy of ‘British Council Sri Lanka’ via Flickr. License here.
Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter for more updates and information on how to get involved.