Sounds Against Slavery interview – Katie Cooper

Sophie caught up with one of the five acts performing at this year's Sounds Against Slavery event...

Impact Magazine and the Anti-Slavery Society are collaborating on the second iteration of Sounds Against Slavery on Thursday 15th March. Impact caught up with one of the acts, Katie Cooper, to hear her thoughts on music and the event.

What are you most looking forward to about performing at Sounds Against Slavery?

I’m looking forward to all the other acts, the great crowd that Rough Trade brings in, and honestly just being able to support a really important cause.

Why did you decide to support the cause?

I think if we can use something as joyful as music, something so collaborative and soulful and all about everyone equally enjoying themselves to get one step closer to abolishing modern-day slavery, wouldn’t that be just amazing?

I can never even begin to imagine what the people who are affected by slavery go through, it reminds me how lucky I am to be able to live my life. And I hope the donations and the night can help towards giving these people the life they deserve.

How would you describe your sound?

My sound changes depending on if and where you listen to me live, or my recording stuff. I like to keep it soulful and honest; the lyrics are always the most important part to me. But in this performance it’ll be laid back and acoustic.

Who are the artists that you are inspired by?

Singer-songwriters that take you a second listening to really understand what that good song was actually about, and then it blows you away.

What was the process of releasing your album like?

I would start by having random thoughts or lyrics or melodies pop into my head, write them down on my phone then form them into a song. Some of them I was sat with another guitarist or singer and we’d throw melodies or riffs together. From there I played it to my producers and they messed around with the music until we both liked it. The longest part was perfecting the instrumentals. And then going on to market and share the album was super fun, with visuals and concerts.

Do you know any of the artists that you are performing alongside at Sounds Against Slavery?

I saw Kwoli Black at the last Sounds Against Slavery gig, and was really taken back by the fusion between music and spoken word. How much he really did speak to the audience, and how powerful the lyrics hit everyone there. I’m very excited to see everyone else pop some tunes on stage!

What do you have planned for the future?

Currently I’m working on more electronic and soul-filled music here in London, and have a lot of gigs planned for spring 2018! Some more songwriting is on the cards, and some singles are ready and lined up!

You’re surrounded by musical opportunities here in Nottingham – what’s it like to be a singer-songwriter in this city?

Although I’ve moved to London for university and music, I will forever want to be pulled back to Nottingham. It really has a tight circuit and set of people like no other city I’ve seen. I started off doing open mics when I was 15, and I still know the same people now as I did then. It’s so communicative and friendly and I will always love that.

Sounds Against Slavery comes to Rough Trade on Thursday 15th March, 7pm-11pm. Tickets are £5.50, and all donations go to Anti-Slavery International.

Sophie Hunt

Featured image courtesy of Katie Cooper.

Article image courtesy of the UoN Anti-Slavery Society.

Image use license here.

EntertainmentInterviewsMusic