University announces collaboration with Rolls-Royce to develop advanced aircraft engines

University of Nottingham has announced a five-year partnership with Rolls-Royce and Ansys, two major engineering specialists, to aid the development of innovative technology for advanced aircraft engines. 

The collaboration starts with the launch of a research project, AERIS, which seeks to improve modelling and simulation in aero engine bearing chambers and internal gearboxes by designing, testing, and optimizing new techniques that help improve air and oil flows in engines.

AERIS is part of Clean Sky 2, Europe’s foremost aeronautical research body, aimed at reducing levels of CO2, gas, and other hazardous materials produced by aircrafts.

“The collaboration with Engines ITD rests on a decade worth of research conducted at the Nottingham Gas Turbine and Transmissions Research Centre”

The collaboration with Engines ITD rests on a decade worth of research conducted at the Nottingham Gas Turbine and Transmissions Research Centre (G2TRC), led by Professor Herve Morvan.

The University’s role in aerospace and aviation research substantiates the UK’s position as one of the top ten Clean Sky 2 participants.

The University is now also a member of the Systems, Airframes and Engines Integrated Technology Demonstrators (ITD). The role mainly concerns researching and developing aerospace primes that will later be supplied to chain organisations.

Kristina Kiminiute

Featured image courtesy of ‘eosdude’ via Flickr. License here.
Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter for more updates and information on how to get involved.