UoN relentless as Trent demolished again in Super Wednesday 1

The University of Nottingham produced a dominant display at the David Ross Sports Village as the Varsity series kicked off with Super Wednesday. It was another whitewash for the Green and Gold, securing all 12 up for grabs in a repeat of last year’s heroics. The result means that the series score is now 1-1, after Nottingham Trent secured the first point by default in the Men’s Football, which was cancelled this year.

The day kicked off in the Dojo, where after a closely-fought battle with Trent, the University of Nottingham were awarded the point in Karate, despite drawing on points, on account of winning more gold medals in the event. Meanwhile, in the main halls of David Ross, the Women’s Handball were able to record a richly-deserved 9-6 victory after an end-to-end game with Trent.

The University of Nottingham wasted no time in adding to their lead on the day when, over in the pool, the swimmers triumphed by 128 points to 92 against Trent. With a lot of focus on the pool events, due to Trent not being able to train in a pool of their own, it was a refreshing change to see a much closer, and thus arguably more exciting, match.

Back over in the main halls of David Ross, the UoN Fencing team were eventually able to overcome NTU in a close match which saw Nottingham Trent come back to level the scores on a number of occasions before the home side put in a strong late showing, foiling the away side and seeing them win the match 135-106.

In perhaps the least surprising result of the day, the women’s volleyball team cheered on by a large courtside crowd, comfortably defeated Trent 3-0 despite resting some key players. Volleyball, which was enjoying its first year as a Super Wednesday event, had been moved from a stand-alone event due to the University of Nottingham’s dominance, and the difference in class was clear to see.

Speaking during the celebrations, Michelle Simon said:

“The atmosphere today was brilliant. I couldn’t have asked for better spectators.

“The volleyball committee did their best to publicise the event as much as possible which gave us a brilliant turnout. We also provided make-shift game day noise-makers and green and gold glitter, which helped the atmosphere. The club is really happy and honoured to have participated in the Varsity Series.

“I know the players today have enjoyed themselves, and the result with that atmosphere is the cherry on top of a great season. We’re excited for the next one!”

Keen to build on an excellent result in the women’s, men’s handball superbly followed suit. Inspired by the brilliant Dani Ramos, the home side ran riot in their tie against Trent, and the comprehensive score of 36-17 was fully deserved and enjoyed by the home team and the crowd.

“The chance to produce a clean sweep was motivation enough for the remaining teams.”

The men’s volleyball did not disappoint either. Similarly to the women’s team, they were able to comfortably dispatched Trent 3-0. NTU’s volleyball team enjoyed an excellent season of their own but came up short against the Green and Gold, despite UoN resting several first- and second-team players.

At this point, following the 8-4 canoe polo victory in the pool, the University of Nottingham had already mathematically secured the series point that overall victory on Super Wednesday would bring them, but the chance to produce a clean sweep was motivation enough for the remaining teams. Several more excellent performances were to come.

Badminton produced a solid display to see off Trent, winning 8 out of 9 matches from a variety of singles and doubles games. The University of Nottingham’s Water Polo side, fresh from their final victory on BUCS Big Wednesday, was able to produce another excellent display on what must now surely be their favourite day of the week, as they comfortably defeated Trent by 18 points to 6.

Unsurprisingly, we saw a comfortable victory for a Table Tennis side brimming with talent, and they were able to defeat the visitors by 7 games to 2. Finally, the Women’s Water Polo team capped off a straightforward outing for UoN’s athletes, thrashing their rivals 25-2, thus giving the University of Nottingham a second consecutive whitewash in their Super Wednesday.

Full Results:

Handball W 9-6, M 36-17

Water Polo M 18-6, W 25-2

Volleyball W 3-0, M 3-0

Badminton 9-1

Canoe Polo 8-4

Swimming 128-92

Table Tennis 7-2

Karate 100-100

Fencing 135-106

Final Score:  University of Nottingham 12-0 Nottingham Trent University

That point means that the Varsity series is now at 1-1, with the minor issue of the Ice Hockey at Motorpoint Arena to follow on Friday 27th April.

Jimmy Moorhouse

Images courtesy of UoN Sport.

Follow @ImpactSport on Twitter or like the Impact Sport Facebook page for more updates and information on how to get involved.

SportVarsity