Look Out For… July

Sarah gives us the greatly anticipated monthly update on what films to look for in July!

With exams far behind us and summer in full swing, what better time to take a trip to the cinema? The football World Cup means that we’re a little low on big-budget blockbusters, but if show-stopping musicals are your bag, then there are a couple to keep your eye on. Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again brings back Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) and the gang, as she learns more about her mother’s younger years (with Lily James playing a young Meryl Streep), while the West End hit Everybody’s Talking About Jamie (about an aspiring drag queen who struggles with his identity) will be broadcast live from the Apollo Theatre. If you’d prefer a little more action though, Mission: Impossible Fallout promises to be jam-packed with dazzling stunts, while the long-awaited sequel Incredibles 2 is finally in theatres – be still, my Pixar-loving heart! But of course, there are plenty of other films to look out for this month.

The More You Ignore Me – 6th July

There are few figures in entertainment that are universally loved, but Jo Brand is one of them. With an extensive background as a healthcare professional (she was a nursing assistant for adults with learning disabilities before becoming a psychiatric nurse for ten years), she now uses her expertise to pen her first screenplay.

The More You Ignore Me tells the story of Alice (Ella Hunt) and her mother Gina (Sheridan Smith), the latter of whom has a mental illness. As Gina finds herself inextricably drawn to a poster of Morrissey, her family must navigate through the opinions of their neighbours.

Like Brand, this appears to be refreshingly honest and funny; it depicts the reality of having a mental illness from several perspectives, with a humour that ensures you’re always laughing with rather than at. If you’re looking for poignant, heart-warming comedy, this is a safe bet.

Pin Cushion – 13th July

There’s nothing better than a good ol’ coming of age film, especially one with a soft, fuzzy feel to it, which is probably why Pin Cushion is one of the films I’m most looking forward to this month.

Mother-and-daughter duo Iona (Lily Newmark) and Lyn (Joanna Scanlon) have always been each other’s best friend. However when they move to a new town, Iona sees this as an opportunity to finally integrate with her peers. Much to Lyn’s disappointment, Iona has soon made a whole new set of friends – but little does she know that Iona is not as happy as she seems.

Think of Pin Cushion as a cross between Mean Girls and Little Miss Sunshine – a naïve young woman with no idea of the horrors of being a teenager, with just as much emphasis on her mother. To me, that sounds like a couple of hours well spent.

Summer 1993 – 13th July

If you like “coming of age” with a darker edge, you might prefer Summer 1993 to Pin Cushion.

6-year-old Frida (Laia Artigas) loves the carefree life she leads with her Bohemian parents. Unfortunately, that comes to an end when her parents die of AIDS; she is sent to live with her Uncle’s family, where she must learn to adapt to a much different lifestyle to any that she’s known.

Having screened at the Berlin International Film Festival last year to critical acclaim, this semi-autobiographical film from director-writer Carla Simón currently has a 100% “certified fresh” rating on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 54 reviews. Besides that, the trailer promises a touching look at bereavement and the loss of innocence. So, a nice light watch.

Hotel Artemis – 20th July

A secret hospital for criminals in dystopian Los Angeles. An incredible cast: Jodie Foster, Sterling K. Brown, Jeff Goldblum and Jenny Slate, to name but a few. Those points alone should be reason enough to watch the movie.

Sarah Quraishi

Featured image courtesy of Georgia Butcher. 

Image use license here.

Follow @ImpactMagazine on Twitter or like the Impact Entertainment Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved. 

EntertainmentFilm & TV