Advice

‘To your health:’ Being Kinder To Your Liver On A Night Out

Shanai takes us through the dangers of excessive drinking, and how to enjoy a great night out without an unexpected trip to A&E.

Whilst not everyone at university, but certainly a whole lot of us, regularly drink, it is important to keep safe and try to prevent health risks as we do so. Without sounding like an old parent, lecturing you about your drinking habits, I am here to say it’s perfectly okay to have a few (especially on club nights out) but to be aware of the amount you’re consuming and how you consume so you’re not the student who ends up at A&E following a drunken night out.

“Pre-drinks can often get a little of out hand, especially when playing games such as Ring of Fire

Pre-drinks can often get a little of out hand, especially when playing games such as Ring of Fire, and you seem to always be topping up your drink to be able to adhere to the rules of these games. By the time you realise it you have already exceeded the guideline of 14 units per week.

If, like me, you’re wondering what exactly 14 units is equal to then fear not because I have the figures for you. It is 14 single measures of spirit (25ml) 40% ABV. You can also work it out to be 6 glasses of wine (175ml) 13% ABV. Lastly, we can measure this number of units as 6 pints of ordinary strength beer/lager/cider at 4% ABV.

When you think about it like this, 14 units is not huge, but it is certainly acceptable- you may just have to refrain from going back to the bar throughout the night! During pre-drinks, it’d best to finish your glass first before having another drink, to pay yourself and not feel pressured into drinking more than you want to. So, if you turn over the fourth king in Ring of Fire, don’t feel that you have to down the drink in the middle of the circle.

“Definitely don’t mix alcohol with drugs – this is a recipe for disaster.

Juggling university work, sports, societies, volunteering and a social life all at one can, at times, be overwhelming. Some may find it more difficult to deal with others. This means that naturally we all have days when we feel a bit low. If this is the case, then be sure to avoid pre-drinks as it may make you feel worse. Definitely don’t mix alcohol with drugs – this is a recipe for disaster.

We all know that shopping on a student budget can be a real conundrum that only a true genius can master. However, once the fridge is full to the brim, it is vital that you always take from it just before drinking. I’m sure that many freshers can attest to the likelihood that if you don’t always eat a good meal before you start to pre you’re bound to have a less than stellar night.

“The number of people that get spiked is alarming so keep an eye on your drink,”

Once you hit the club (or wherever it is you may be going), opt for smaller rounds of drinks and never leave your drink unattended. The number of people that get spiked is alarming so keep an eye on your drink (best to drink it at the bar and not the dancefloor) and don’t accept any from strangers.

Remember that alcohol is a depressant, so might impact your mood the following day. It’s not a bad thing to enjoy a drink with friends but be sure to take breaks for a few days to give your liver a well earned break.

For more information about alcohol and where to access help and support please go to:

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/currentstudents/healthyu/alcoholdrugssmokingandaddiction/alcohol.aspx

Shanai Momi

Featured image courtesy of Jacek Bacela via Flickr. No changes were made to this image. Image license found here.

AdviceFeatures