Bad Sounds @ Rescue Rooms

Rescue Rooms’ compact venue immediately set the precedent for an intimate evening with Bad Sounds. From the first song, it was evident that the room was filled with only the band’s most dedicated fans, with the audience passionately moshing to every song.

The night began with two support acts, Dylan Cartlidge and Indoor Pets. The huge uproar triggered by Dylan’s surprise appearance during Bad Sounds’ set was a testament to his energetic and genial performances, with his warm personality clearly coming through. Indoor Pets clearly had some followers in the room, as the crowd sang along to their songs and danced as vehemently as they later did to the headline act.

“It was clear that the group had put considerable effort into creating an innovative and cohesive show”

Having recently interviewed Bad Sounds’ Ewan Merrett, I was excited to experience what he had described as a truly ‘Bad Sounds evening’. I was not disappointed, as it was clear that the group had put considerable effort into creating an innovative and cohesive show, with their instantly recognisable graphics and colour scheme present even in the room’s decor and the band’s coordinating jumpsuits.

“Everyone was instantly brought together in an atmosphere of community and positivity”

The positive, emotive message of their debut album Get Better was communicated in slogans (‘Eat Right, Think Right, Get Better’) plastered across the stage and in an opening speech performed by a godlike entity, igniting a great sense of anticipation in the room. This unplaceable voice of reason instructed us to focus on a light that slowly blinked centrestage, breathing in time with it to centre ourselves and get into a calm headspace for the evening. Everyone was instantly brought together in an atmosphere of community and positivity which was of course then reinforced by Bad Sounds’ always upbeat, relatable tunes.

Opening with ‘Wages’, one of their most popular songs, the band immediately pleased the crowd, with Ewan expressing impressed surprise at such a quick formation of mosh pits enveloping at least half of the room. Bad Sounds continued on a high-note, dancing along with the crowd to every song, even jumping on the backs of one another in delirium as the show came to a climax.

Bad Sounds’ focus on positive messages, self-care and the sense of familiarity clearly present both within the band and across the room left me emotional, as I’m sure it did everyone else. Unlike many gigs, a consistent sense of calm and clarity was dominant despite the energetic nature of the evening, with a safe atmosphere of shared well-being created.

“That night was one of the highlights of my life so far”

A true testament to the band’s dedication was their post-show DJ set. The informal set-up of decks on a table in Albert’s created the opportunity for me and my mate to talk to both Bad Sounds and Dylan Cartlidge, leading to an evening out in Nottingham touring bars as a group. It’s safe to say that night was one of the highlights of my life so far.

Ultimately, Bad Sounds’ aim of making everyone feel genuinely better last Thursday was certainly realised in my eyes. I would personally prescribe their music to anyone experiencing feelings of stress or alienation, and hope that other bands follow the examples set by the likes of IDLES, The Wombats and Bad Sounds (to name a few) in creating communities of positivity.

10/10

Georgia Cavanagh

Featured Image courtesy of Bad Sounds Official Facebook Page