Brexit &amp: the EU Settlement Scheme

The consequences of Brexit 2 years on from the referendum still remain unclear however, UoN are doing everything in their power to provide support for staff that may be affected.
Mandatory Credit: Photo by David Pearson/REX_Shutterstock (692888bv) European Union flag and Union Jack together, London, England, Britain Various

Whilst we have people in our University community who voted leave as well as remain in the 2016 Brexit referendum, the vote was an individual decision. At UoN we value our EU staff and want them to stay with us at the University of Nottingham. Over 800 University staff across all job families who are EU citizens and came to this country with rights that will soon be removed.

“Opportunity for those University staff and their families currently living in the UK to apply to have thier rights as citizens to continue after Brexit”

The EU Settlement Scheme is the pilot which has singled out staff working in Universities. This will provide an opportunity for those University staff and their families currently living in the UK to apply to have their rights as citizens to continue after Brexit.

The University will pay the registration fee for all European staff and their families should they wish to apply for settled status under the scheme.

The Human Resources department will be offering administrative support, assembling documents and providing access to Android phones to support staff in making applications. In addition to this, all international staff, whatever their country of origin, continue to have access to a loan scheme to help support them in acquiring the necessary visas or applying for citizenship.

“At UoN we value our international staff and will be showcasing some of their many contributions to the University of Nottingham”

Over the next few weeks and months, faculties and professional services departments will hold open meetings for EU staff to hear their concerns and answer their questions. At UoN we value our international staff and will be showcasing some of their many contributions to the University of Nottingham both online and in a new portrait display celebrating international staff when the portraits of women of achievement currently in the Council Room of the Trent Building are relocated across the University in the coming months.

Marvel Kalu 

Featured image by David Pearson via Flickr. Image license here.

Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter.