Fashion

Best Dressed at the 2019 BAFTAs

Megan shares her favourite looks of the night.

On Sunday 10th February,  viewers tuned in to watch the 72nd British Academy Film Awards held at the Royal Albert Hall in London. And although host Joanna Lumley struggled to deliver a punch line (I am still cringing) the red carpet certainly did not disappoint. Showcasing a variety of designs by some of the world’s most prestigious fashion houses, these are my top picks for the best-dressed at the 2019 BAFTAs.

1. Regina King

Without a doubt my favourite look of the night, Regina King took the BAFTAs by storm in this Versace number. Clad in fuchsia, the thigh-high split and subtle ruching along the waist and hips accentuated King’s beautiful curves. Giving off Grecian Goddess vibes, this actress proves that age is just a number, especially with Versace by your side!

2. Maya Jama

BBC radio host Maya Jama dared to bare in this semi-sheer Aadnevik dress. A show-stopper, the thigh-high split coupled with see-through lace detailing is both sexy and dramatic. Showcasing her natural beauty, the radio star’s dewy makeup and tussled side-plait adds a playfulness to the windswept look. Well done Maya – I would have been pulling it down all night!

3. Kate Middleton

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtxqI7Dg7G3/

An angel in white, Kate Middleton wowed in Alexander McQueen – her favourite designer. Wearing a one-shouldered dress with floral detailing, the simplicity of the Duchess’ gown is governed by the classic fashion rule: less is more.  In a heartfelt tribute to her mother-in-law, Kate accessorised the chiffon frock with  Diana’s diamond earrings and Jimmy Choo shoes; one of her most stunning looks to date!

4. Cynthia Erivo

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtuL2WxiqLA/

Remember the moment in Sex and The City where Carrie models that gorgeous Vivienne Westwood gown? Well, in the words of Elle Woods – this is so much better than that! Cynthia Erivo’s Vera Wang dress certainly stole the show and we are still getting over it. The full-bodied skirt and fitted bodice flowed along the carpet, fun and full of texture whilst the lilac trim complimented the actress’s plaited locks. In a modern take on the classic princess gown, this Vera Wang design is nothing short of a fairy-tale.

5. Mahershala Ali

Winner of Best Actor in a Supporting Role for his performance in Green Book, Mahershala Ali knows how to work a red carpet.  Designed by Tom Ford, Ali’s embroidered jacket and matching bow tie are sharp and sophisticated, the Regency pattern emphasised by the jacket’s impeccable tailoring.

6. Michelle Yeoh

Timeless and demure, Michelle Yeoh’s Elie Saab gown oozed old Hollywood glamour with intricate beading and draped sleeves. A Grace Kelly dream, the Malaysian actress looked effortlessly chic as she paired her Haute Couture gown with loose curls and natural makeup.

7. Lily Collins

Modelling Givenchy, Lily Collins opted for a royal blue ensemble – and she certainly looked the part. Styled by Audrey Hepburn’s go-to fashion house, Lily’s sheer lace skirt complete with satin jacket and burgundy lip threw us back to nineteenth century fashion. Serving major vamp vibes, the Les Mis star brought serious drama to the red carpet, cementing her status as one of Hollywood’s best-dressed actresses.

8. Timothée Chalamet

A rising star in film and fashion, Timothée Chalamet has officially arrived.  Wearing Haider Ackermann, the actor’s statement jacket and shirt combo definitely pushed the boundaries. A refreshing new take on the classic red-carpet suit, the daring applique and metallic sheen of the Ackermann ensemble proves that the French-American actor is one to watch on and off-screen.

Megan Bull

Featured Image courtesy of @alandwest on Instagram. 

Main Images courtesy of @waymanandmicah, @maya.j.wrld, @flofashionstyling, @celebritytellonline, @shadesoftheredcarpet, @theroyalhistorian, @lilyjcollinskr, and @mameyelnuevonegro on Instagram.

Follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved.

FashionFashionLifestyleOpinionsStyle