Music Reviews

Hobo Johnson and The Lovemakers @ Rock City

Having only been to Rock City on a crisis night before and never to a gig there, I was very excited to see what it would be like and I was not disappointed.

“Their music conveys the too familiar nervousness we have all experienced”

I was first introduced to Hobo Johnson and The Lovemakers this summer by a friend and, although it takes a little to warm up to their spoken word poetry style of music, their lyrics speak to the heart of our generation and the problems we all seem to face. The lead singer being only 23 makes it easy for the band to connect with their audience on a lyrical level, their music conveys the too familiar nervousness we have all experienced when trying to understand those weird feelings that change like the weather.

Their young age is also a sign that they have not been in the scene for a while, having blown up only around a year ago, the fact that they are already touring in the UK serves to prove just how differently powerful this band is and I’m eager to see where their music will take them next.

The gig was opened by the supporting act Oliver Tree, a trio I had never heard of before but was blown away by. Their music was a mix of electronic pop and soft rock, and by the second song everyone in the crowd, including those who did not know the songs, were jumping and dancing around to it. The lead singer had a very eccentric stage presence with weird dance moves and props that made their set all the more fun, including closing their performance by doing a 360 on a scooter. Although their set was not very long, they definitely got the crowd in the right mood to welcome Hobo Johnson and proved themselves to be a band to definitely check out and keep an eye on.

“It is evident the band is all about the music and lyrics”

The crowd went wild again as soon as Hobo Johnson and The Lovemakers walked onto the stage and began their set with ‘Romeo and Juliet’ to which almost everyone in the venue was singing along. The entire set was very simple, it is evident the band is all about the music and lyrics rather than just putting on a performance for the sake of it. They played almost all of their released music and the crowd still wanted more in the end.

The band also covered ‘Since You Been Gone’ by Kelly Clarkson while the crowd engaged in a mosh pit, which was incredibly hilarious and strange all at once. The last song they played, that is by far their most famous and loved one, the song that everyone in the crowd was waiting for was ‘Peach Scones’; a little ballad about unrequited love and the sad realisation that our biggest fear as humans is ending up alone and loveless. This was the perfect song to end the show with as everyone in the crowd screamed out the lyrics and spirits were very high. However, the crowd was not done once the band had left the stage and everyone started screaming for more, that’s what lead the band to come back and officially close the show with another cover: ‘If I Ain’t Got You’ by Alicia Keys, to which nobody began a mosh pit to this time, but everyone was dancing and singing along to; it was a perfect way to end the night!

All in all, if you have not yet listened to Hobo Johnson and The Lovemakers, do it but make sure to approach it with an open mind and I promise you will resonate with the lyrics and melodies. Also, if you’re on the lookout for new music, Oliver Tree is definitely a band to bop to, so check them out. And if you ever get the opportunity to see any of these bands live, do not miss them, as the energy they bring to the stage will not disappoint you!

9/10

Elisa Oricchio

Featured Image courtesy of Hobo Johnson Official Facebook Page.

For more reviews follow Impact Magazine on Facebook and Twitter.

Music ReviewsReviews