Preview: Women In Music

Ahead of Women In Music's highly-anticipated event next week, Impact's Lucy breaks down what to expect on the night.

A highly relevant and much anticipated event, Women in Music is returning to Nottingham for a night of discussion and activism surrounding the gender imbalance within the music industry. The event, held at the Metronome in the city centre on Wednesday 13th March in the evening, will consist of two panels and contributions from a wide range of women in the music industry. 

The first panel centres around the Grassroots Promoter Initiative, to revive the grassroots music scene in the UK which contributes to both local communities and the music industry through highlighting talented, underrated artists. In 2018, the Music Venue Trust and MusicPlanet Live launched a scheme to diversify the grassroots scene by supporting females in the industry, which offers £100,000 to support Grassroots Music Venues run by the most exciting up-and-coming female promoters.

The Strategic Director of the Music Venues Trust will speak about the successes of this initiative and how to get involved, followed by an interview with two promoters who have already taken part. 

The Tuts, an exciting and talented feminist band, will also be in conversation with Jackie P, from Kemet FM. Proud of their diverse Caribbean, English and Indian/Pakistani heritages, the trio make powerful music whilst contributing to the debate around inclusivity in the industry. 

“The relevance of [the second panel] is clear after Lily Allen pointed out the huge gender imbalance at Wireless Festival 2018”

The second panel discusses gender equality on and off the stage, with a particular focus on music festivals. The relevance of this is clear after Lily Allen pointed out the huge gender imbalance at Wireless Festival 2018. This panel also focuses on women behind the scenes, for example their journey and challenges, working in the music industry as a woman, and how equality can be improved in this area. 

The panellists include the founder of LOUD WOMEN Fest, the director of ArcTanGent festival and the Manager of Snowbombing festival, all ready to share their knowledge and insight. 

Tickets cost £3.30 for students, and all proceeds go to Equation, a Nottingham based charity committed to ending domestic and sexual violence. 

Get your tickets here before they run out for an opportunity to support the cause, network with big names and educate yourself on the issues of gender inequality in music. 

Lucy Miles 

Featured Image courtesy of Carly Jones via Women in Music.

Image use licence here.

Follow @ImpactMagazine on Twitter or like the Impact Entertainment Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved.

EntertainmentMusic