Penny Lane Launch Party

Rosa talks us through her thoughts on Nottingham's newest bar, Penny Lane.

Nostalgic childhood memories, excellent drinks, and all the fun of the seaside- everything is to be found in Nottingham’s newest bar, Penny Lane.

Located on Fletcher Gate in Nottingham’s famous Lace Market, Penny Lane is the newest addition to Nottingham’s independent bar scene. Behind the launch of Penny Lane are the creative teams of two of Nottingham’s most popular independent bars, The Hockley Arts Club and Das Kino. The seaside theme of Penny Lane stems from fond childhood memories of trips to Matlock Bath, Blackpool, as well as Brighton’s famous pier. The seaside inspiration bleeds into everything at Penny Lane- the cocktail menu, the food menu, the interior, as well as the vintage arcade games.

Penny Lane’s cocktail menu is truly something, and is definitely a contender for being the top cocktail menu in Nottingham. The cocktail menu is extensive, offering something to suit all taste buds. Ranging from £7.95 to £9.00 in price, the cocktails are on the pricier side. However, the uniqueness of each cocktail, as well as the little extras that each cocktail provides, definitely make them worth the money.

“The little extra garnishes that the cocktails are served with gives Penny Lane an advantage over other bars in Nottingham, and makes it a truly unique bar to visit.”

The cocktails are inspired by memories of the seaside, with the Neon Boardwalk taking inspiration from Blackpool’s famous Illuminations. The Neon Boardwalk is made up of Sloe Gin, Cherry Brandy, Peach, Lime, and is served with Cherry Cola Bottles, with its sweet and tangy taste certainly tantalising the taste buds. Penny Lane’s 99 Problems But The Beach Ain’t One includes Pink Gin, Blackberry, Lemon, Pomegranate, Apple, Cranberry, and is served in an inflatable flamingo and is accompanied with a stick of seaside rock. If one cocktail isn’t enough for you, then fear not! The cocktail menu even includes sharing cocktails! The little extra garnishes that the cocktails are served with gives Penny Lane an advantage over other bars in Nottingham, and makes it a truly unique bar to visit.

As well as an extensive cocktail and drinks menu, Penny Lane also serve small plates. Offering dishes such as meatballs, lamb koftas, flatbreads, mini burgers, as well as traditional seaside classics such as fish and chips and 99 flakes, Penny Lane has hit the nail on the head with the range of dishes available on its menu. It is clear from what I sampled that the quality of Penny Lane’s ingredients is excellent, with the fragrant spices and aromatic meat of the lamb koftas being a combination made in heaven, and taking my taste buds on an adventure.

“There is a running duck theme throughout the arcade area, which is clearly drawing inspiration from Nottingham’s famous greeting ‘ay up me duck.’”

The vast array of games on offer is truly impressive. From classic seaside penny pushers, to fortune tellers, crane machines, and even a camel derby- there is truly something for everyone at Penny Lane. The range of games on offer is certainly the best range that I have seen in any games-related bars in Nottingham. Even though Penny Lane takes us back to fond seaside memories, there are certainly murmurs of Nottingham within the bar. There is a running duck theme throughout the arcade area, which is clearly drawing inspiration from Nottingham’s famous greeting ‘ay up me duck.’ After winning three different games, customers are able to claim a duck soft toy, which is certainly a lovely touch.

The atmosphere is really relaxed, with old school tunes filling the bar’s space, as well as a number of different seating areas being available to customers. The interior is really superb, with the arcade area being packed with bright neon signs and lights. Wooden walls and shelves occupy the front area of the bar, with the shelves scattering seaside-related knick-knacks and ornaments. All of these elements help to create Penny Lane’s wonderful seaside feel.

Penny Lane is definitely going to go off with a bang in Nottingham. Offering fun cocktails, excellent food, and the interactive element of the arcade- Penny Lane is suitable for people of all ages and is sure to knock some of Nottingham’s most beloved and popular bars from the top spot.

10/10

Rosa Morgan

All images courtesy of Rosa Morgan.

For more Food Articles follow Impact Magazine on Facebook and Twitter. 

FoodFood ReviewsLifestyle