The Perfect Itinerary for a Day Out in Nottingham- No Matter the Weather

ROLLEI

How can you spend the day in Nottingham during rain or shine? It’s a question we’ve all wondered when suffering from severe boredom (when our deadlines are not draining the life out of us). Below are some tried and tested ideas and some more obscure places.

Sometimes rather aspirational with the great British summer, here is how you can spend the perfect Nottingham day when it is sunny. A great place to begin with brunch is Hartley’s. It is an independent family run coffee shop and is located in Hockley. In addition to being gluten free and dairy free, it also appears to be expense free with most of the dishes being 5 pounds or under.

For tram obsessed thrifty students, one project that can be completed on the low student price ticket is the well-known Hucknall and Toton lane routes from each end of the tram line to the other. Extra points if you manage to take a photo at every stop without getting the tram doors closed on you!

‘Every Nottingham student at one time needs to attempt to row themselves across the Highfield lake’

Every Nottingham student at one time needs to attempt to row themselves across the Highfield lake. And the perfect way to waste time nearby is by getting over-competitive at the Highfield Park’s new mini-golf centre, with a new 9 hole foot golf being opened soon.

Unfortunately, you can’t fill a rainy Nottingham day with trekking around Wollaton Park or Highfields Park. However, below we have come up with some dryer options.

If you fancy adding to creepy feeling of a rainy day, the haunted museum on Woodborough Road is the place for you to visit- an antique cinema converted into a spooky museum. Next time you visit the Savoy you may find yourself second-guessing the shadows! For £4 you can have a full tour of the museum which includes a haunted doll, real skeletons and articles from old mortuaries.

Despite the rainy days, you can still reach your 10,000 steps a day by walking through the city of caves; a hidden maze of over 500 original sandstone caves underneath the streets of Nottingham dating back to the Middle Ages. Nearby to the city of caves is the Nottingham Contemporary Art Gallery which presents exhibitions from the world’s contemporary artists, currently being Lis Rhodes, a pioneer of an experimental filmmaker. Another reason to visit the Nottingham Contemporary Art Gallery… It’s free!

‘Tick Annie’s burger shack off your Nottingham bucket list’

Then to finish the day, if you need a cosy place to eat in Nottingham during the rain, tick Annie’s burger shack off your Nottingham bucket list. Vegans, veggies and meat eaters can gorge on Rhode Island style burgers with 10 per cent off for students to help promote a cosy well-deserved food nap.

Gwennan Ward

Featured image courtesy of shining.darkness via Flickr. Image license found here. No changes were made to this image.