Lifestyle

Japan: A New Tourist Hotspot?

Japan is an island rich in culture, history and nature. Animé, sushi, technology, cherry blossom trees, Samurai and temples are just some aspects that have filtered through to a Western imagination of the country. The East Asian island hosts something for everyone, and in the last few years this has become far more well known.

“For food, there is no question how Japan has become the fastest growing travel destination”

The majority of visitors are from other Asian countries. However, from September 2018 to this year, visitor arrivals just from the UK grew by 84.4%. A recent article by the Telegraph noted how tourist numbers have grown by 20 million in just 5 years. The Tourism Agency was set up in 2008 in order to focus a growth from tourism, and the original visitor target for 2020 rose from 20 million to 40 million in 2016.

Meiji Shrine, Tokyo

The recent increase in visits could be due to the Rugby World Cup, where Japan’s rugby team (averaging a height of 5’7” compared to Scotland’s 6’1”) performed exceptionally, leaving everyone in positive spirits, despite the disruption from Typhoon Hagibis. On the global travel scene, inbound visits are expected to increase as the 2020 Olympics are set to be hosted in Tokyo.

“Adrenaline seekers will be spoilt for choice”

The country’s popularity has been noted by recent BBC documentaries such as Japan with Sue Perkins. Her charming portrayal of the most popular activities showed Japan as polite and full of activities from the art of sumo wrestling to tree meditation.

Mount Fuji, from Kawakuchigo

For food, there is no question how Japan has become the fastest growing travel destination. The delicacies of sushi, sashimi and the favourite Katsu curries have proved so popular in the UK through outlets such as YoSushi or Wagamamas.

“For backpackers and students, neighbouring South East Asia is justifiably more appealing to your wallet”

But that is not all. Adrenaline seekers will be spoilt for choice, with over 600 skiing resorts on offer to all abilities. Surfing is also popular: the Pacific coast offers an ideal match of swell to the east and a tropical climate. The surfing competition for the Olympics will be held a 2.5 hour train ride away from Tokyo, at Tsurigasaki Beach

Shibuya, the world’s busiest crossing

Travel within Japan is punctual, affordable and a pleasure. JR passes or the Pasmo card (the Oyster equivalent) are useful for getting around and immersing yourself in the cities.

“The best restaurants are the ones that don’t have English menus. They don’t even have service staff.”

However, it’s not for your average budget backpacker. Where 1000 yen equates to £7, most hostels in the countryside of Nikko cost between £15 and £20 per night. In the capital Tokyo, you can find yourself paying £25. An average meal in Tokyo can be upwards of £10. For a global city, this isn’t a shock. But, for backpackers and students, neighbouring South East Asia is justifiably more appealing to your wallet.

Ramen in a restaurant

For an island over 8000 miles (a 16-hour flight) away, an average week-long holiday is difficult to give grounds for. But, as it is easier than ever to find cheap flights, it may be something to save up for.

Tokyo Tips from a recent traveller

• The best restaurants are the ones that don’t have English menus. They don’t even have service staff; you order on a machine. These were mostly filled with Japanese locals and not many Gaijin (foreigners).
  • The majority of the thoroughly enjoyed Onsens (hot springs) have strict no-tattoo policies. Japan’s relationship with openly visible body art is not a favoured one, and the popular reason behind this is their synonymity with the infamous gang, the Yakuza.
  • Shimokitazawa is the second-hand shopping district of Tokyo – head here for some vintage bargains.

Klara Hansen

Featured image and main images courtesy of Tom Vickers. 

For more content including uni news, reviews, entertainment, lifestyle, features and so much more,  follow us on Twitter and Instagram or like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved! If you would like to write Travel articles for Impact Lifestyle drop us an email at lifestyle@impactnottingham.com.

LifestylePlacesTravel
  • Sarah Morgan
    26 October 2019 at 18:43