Nottingham Celebrates for Black History 365

Isobel Billington explores what Nottingham is doing to celebrate Black History Month this year. 

Black History Month got off to a ceremonial start with the unveiling of a plaque to remember Eric Irons, Britain’s first black magistrate. Nottingham was proud to honour our local hero on 1st October, at the National Justice Museum.

To continue the celebrations, Nottingham City Council has organised a stellar line-up to acknowledge the life, history and achievements of BME people as part of the Black History 365 campaign. 

“Nottingham has a wealth of diversity in its history and its people. The Black History 365 campaign seeks to harness this diversity and celebrate black history throughout the year.” – Nottingham City Council

While Nottingham recognises and celebrates October as Black History Month, the Black History 365 campaign seeks to harness diversity and celebrate black history throughout the whole year. Nottingham City Council and Nottinghamshire Police will be working with a range of groups and partners across the year ahead to host and promote many campaigns, activities and events. 

The year ahead is amazingly rich in culture, so get filling in your calendar. The following shows are just a selection of the events being held to celebrate Black History 365.

Getting the Third Degree by Dougie Blaxland, 23rd October 2019, Nottingham Playhouse

An Evening with Lenny Henry: Who Am I, Again?, 14th November 2019, Theatre Royal & Royal Concert Hall

Lighthouse Family, 15th November 2019, Theatre Royal & Royal Concert Hall

Whitney Queen of the Night, 16th November 2019, Theatre Royal & Royal Concert Hall

Emeli Sandé, 10th December 2019, Theatre Royal & Royal Concert Hall

Daliso Chaponda, Blah Blah Blacklist, 16th January 2020, Nottingham Playhouse

Acosta Danza, 10th-11 April 2020, Theatre Royal & Royal Concert Hall

Take note and don’t miss these remarkable events – the achievements of BME people are being celebrated all year round, not just October, as they should be.

Isobel Billington

Sources – https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk/listings/region/east-midlands/nottingham/

https://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/information-for-residents/community/equality-diversity-and-inclusion/black-history-365/

Featured image courtesy of UoN Students’ Union via Twitter. Image license found here. No changes were made to this image. Article image courtesy of MyNottingham via Twitter

For more content including uni news, reviews, entertainment, lifestyle, features and so much more, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved! Also like our Impact News page for more articles.