The Fourth Democratic Presidential Debate

Warren wins big at the fourth Democratic Presidential Debate.

On October 15th, the stage was set for the fourth Democratic Presidential Debate with several events leading up to the debate wetting the appetite of both the American electorate and political enthusiasts alike.

Could Sanders bounce back after suffering a heart attack only two weeks prior? Could Yang (aka. ‘Mr UBI’) diversify his message and capitalise on his current momentum? Would rivalries between O’Rourke and Buttigieg or Harris and Biden bubble to surface under the heat of the bright stage lights? Gabbard’s announcement that she may be boycotting the debate just week before it was set to be hosted only helped foster more anticipation.

It is not uncommon for less popular candidates to take on a front runner in attempts make themselves more relevant.

Not long into the debate, however, it was evident that a number of candidates had one plan and one plan only; to take on Elizabeth Warren. Warren came into the debate as the candidate with the most momentum, recently climbing to second place, closing in on Uncle Joe. It is not uncommon for less popular candidates to take on a front runner in attempts make themselves more relevant.

However, on this night Warren felt the full force of very large and very strong field of democratic candidates. Biden, Buttigieg and Beto (O’Rourke) barraged Warren, accusing her of failing to explain how she plans to fund her ‘Medicare For All’. The resulting exchanges filled the debate highlight reels. Warren dealt with the challenges well; it’s likely she was expecting them.

If Warren is to be elected to run against Trump in 2020, she must do her best to avoid being framed as too radical.

However, a deeper talking point has surfaced as a result. If Warren is to be elected to run against Trump in 2020, she must do her best to avoid being framed as too radical. The challenges she faced during this debate were attempts to do exactly this and dodging such an image is crucial both in terms of proving her electability, but also differentiating herself from fellow progressive Sanders.

Aidan Hall

Featured image courtesy of CNN via Facebook

For more content including uni news, reviews, entertainment, lifestyle, features and so much more, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved! Also like our Impact News page for more articles.

Breaking NewsNews