Fashion

The 3 Big Trends This Autumn/Winter

Amber lends us a hand by telling us the 3 ‘must have’ items for the colder days coming up!

The autumnal season is finally here! The time when sweat-knits, beanies and long coats make an appearance. Whilst keeping the classic trends, this A/W also has some new things to aid our style. Most importantly, this season marked Karl Lagerfeld’s final Chanel show; the show that stole the month and the finale all fashion heads would remember.

THE TREND: TRENCH COATS & LONG COATS

“The revitalised trench coat was spotted leading the street style charge, as well as on the runways at London Fashion Week”

The revitalised trench coat was spotted leading the street style charge, as well as on the runways at London Fashion Week. Glossy patent, voluminous sleeves and re-spun heritage checks from Burberry make the classic mac this and next season’s most worthwhile investment opportunity.

Long double breasted wrap coats have also made an appearance at high street retail stores such as & Other Stories, COS, ARKET and Weekday. Originally rooted from the 1950s style coats, a long double-breasted coat with wide sleeves, shaped like a dressing robe really gives a cosy fit. If you want to see how it’s done, the Olsen twins have perfected the sartorial art of layering this comfy style perfectly hiding behind bundles of warm wool and cashmere pieces.

THE TREND: SUITS

The power-suits aren’t going anywhere! Power suits tend to live in a surprisingly controversial space. Early feminists said it was the ultimate challenge to the patriarchy, because who needs femininity? Then came the argument that feminine can be just as strong and game-changing, and we don’t need to dress like men, so let’s reclaim it, sall we? Would you wear a power suit to brunch at a friend’s apartment made of silk? Or wear it to a wedding, or to work, or on a first date? It certainly is a statement outfit.

THE TREND: KNITTED VESTS

“This type of clothing is one that mirrors your grandfather’s attire”

Much like the Wallace and Gromit’s sketch; from the British stop motion clay animation series, Wallace, one of the main protagonists is a homely and self-contained character who famously wears a green knitted vest. This type of clothing is one that mirrors your grandfather’s attire. Sweater vests are largely related with preppy kids, cricket players, and of course, your beloved grandpa.

For those who are stumped on how to wear the retro item, the fashion crowd has already set to work on styling the jumper and, it turns out, it’s a pretty handy extra layer to have. The most popular, and sartorially savvy, styling technique to emerge so far is to quite literally take a note out of your grandpa’s book and pair it with a shirt. For extra style points keep the top half tonal. Whether you opt for vibrant purple or subtle caramel hues, influencers on the ‘gram are definitely making a strong case for the decades old look.

Amber Chow 

Featured Image courtesy of Corn Farmer via Flickr.Image License.

Main images from nettiweber, sophiaippoliti, annejohannsen, lunaklestrup via Instagram 

For more content including uni news, reviews, entertainment, lifestyle, features and so much more,  follow us on Twitter and Instagram or like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved! 

FashionLifestyleStyle