Scouting For Girls @ Rock City

On Thursday evening, four piece Indie pop-rock group Scouting for Girls put on a stellar show at Nottingham’s Rock City. Not many bands who formed over ten years ago (in 2005 to be precise) could generate the buzz which filled the venue from the front row, bar, balcony and every space in between.

“Not many bands who formed over ten years ago […] could generate the buzz which filled the venue”

The crowd was diverse, from teenagers to older couples, all patiently waiting for what we hoped would be an incredible show. And that it was.

Roy Stride was an exceptional front man. He had won the crowd over within seconds after declaring that Rock City is his favourite venue to play in the UK but continued to do so with his excellent showmanship. His musical talent could be easily overlooked given his charismatic stage presence, but the ease at which he swapped from acoustic guitar to piano was impressive.

It looked for him as easy as walking, even breathing, as he barely had to look at the instrument he was playing. His vocals were good to, he dorns an impressive range which is certainly tested throughout their set. Other band members Pete, Greg and Jamie also deserve a mention, their musicianship is pure class.

“The show was the perfect balance of newer material and crowd favourites”

The show was the perfect balance of newer material and crowd favourites. They opened with a song from the new album Trouble With Boys, ‘Grown Up’, and from then we knew we were in for a good night. ‘Heartbeat’ followed, and they seemed genuinely enthralled by how excited the crowd became when hearing the first chord of the song play.

“A special mention for ‘I Wish I was James Bond’ which was exceptional”

Other crowd favourites followed, including ‘Love How It Hurts’ and ‘This Ain’t A Love Song’. A special mention for ‘I Wish I Was James Bond’ which was exceptional, as well as  ‘Elvis Ain’t Dead’ which took crowd interaction to a new level, splitting the audience and having half sing the key line from their chorus, and the other belting Elvis’s ‘Can’t Help Falling In Love’. Songs from Trouble with Boys also got a great reception, including ‘Boys Will Be Boys’, but it was clear the audience’s allegiance is still firmly with the older classics.

“No other song could close their triumphant set besides ‘She’s So Lovely’ which has become some what of a cult classic for my generation”

The demand for an encore was unanimous, and we knew it was coming as their most well-known song was yet to be played. They returned to the stage with rapturous applause and started their reprise with ‘1+1’ followed by ‘Christmas In The Air (Tonight)’. No other song could close their triumphant set besides ‘She’s So Lovely’ which has become some what of a cult classic for my generation. It was no surprise that it received the best reception of the night.

“Their harmonies were tight and musicianship overwhelming”

The night was a victory for Scouting for Girls, but I must give a special mention to their support band The Dunwells; 2 brothers from Leeds who were brilliant. Playing stripped back acoustic indie-folk rock tunes, while impressively managing a loop pedal, they certainly had the audience’s attention. Their harmonies were tight and musicianship overwhelming. They got a great reception and deservedly so, they are certainly ones to keep an eye out for.

8.5/10

Emily Hall

Featured image courtesy of Emily Hall.

For more reviews like our Facebook page.

For more uni news, reviews, entertainment articles, lifestyle, features and so much more, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved!