Beauty

Less Stuff, Richer Life.

Are you ever stressed out but find yourself puzzled over the reason? Well, minimalism might just save your life.

The term minimalism first appeared in the mid-1960s, describing an art movement that can be interpreted as a reaction against abstract expressionism and modernism. Modern minimalism refers to living with less. From a financial point of view, a minimalist lifestyle can result in liberation from financial burdens (less debt and unnecessary expenses, great!)

Marie Kondo is a Japanese organising consultant and expert in minimising the number of objects and clothing people own in their houses. The new TV show ‘Tidying Up with Marie Kondo’ has taken Netflix by storm and has helped relieve people from the burden that their belongings provide them with.

The main issue with minimalism is knowing where to start

View this post on Instagram

We often look at nice clothes, and try to think of situations we could wear them in. That leads us to make up occasions that aren’t part of our lives, or exaggerate how often we do something, just for the sake of creating a need for ourselves.⠀ ⠀ “These are the perfect lounge pants for reading a book at home, or when I’m watching Netflix.” Except the last time you did that Netflix didn’t even have autoplay yet.⠀ ⠀ Instead, we should look at our lives first. Which activities does your life consist of? It’s a good idea to list everything you do.⠀ ⠀ Then think about which clothes you feel most comfortable with in each situation. You’ll notice that when you think about it this way, you’ll end up with a lot of overlap for different occasions. Your favorite pair of jeans is your top choice for many situations.⠀ ⠀ Sure, weather will warrant for a couple alternatives for each occasion, and you’re free to add some variance, but in the end you don’t need a big wardrobe to cover your life with your favorite clothes.⠀ ⠀ The end result will be a functional wardrobe based on your life, without redundant clothes—which is the definition of a minimalist wardrobe.⠀ ⠀ Photo by @asket.⠀ ⠀ #minimalistwardrobe #minimalistic #minimalism #minimalist #slowfashion #responsiblefashion #buylessbuybetter #sustainablefashion #consciousconsumerism #conscousfashion #buylesschoosewell #capsulewardrobe

A post shared by The Minimalist Wardrobe (@theminimalistwardrobe) on

The KonMari method involves gathering all your belongings from one room in the house at a time and discarding any items that do not ‘spark joy’. Another aspect of the method is to find a designated place for each item in the house and make sure it remains placed there. Kondo states that this method is inspired by the Shinto religion, in which cleaning and organisation are spiritual practises.

“The things you own end up owning you” perfectly illustrates the meaning behind minimalism

By having control over the items in your house and wardrobe, it will give you a new sense of freedom regarding your possessions as you will end up owning only the things that serve real purpose in your life. To highlight just one ‘pro’ of the minimalist lifestyle: you’ll never have that panic-clothes-search again, as you will be able to find these items more easily, especially when in a rush.

Minimalism as a concept can be applied to all aspects of life. From friends and family to work, social life and the environment. Minimalism will ultimately elevate stress from your life and give you more control over what you own. Who wouldn’t want that?

Jodie Clare

Sources:

https://www.theminimalists.com/lml/

https://www.moneyunder30.com/minimalist-living

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp-eEVkKh60

Featured image courtesy of B&M Stores via Flickr. No changes made to this image. Image license can be found here

Article images courtesy of Marie Kondo and theminimalistwardrobe via instagram. No changes made to this image. 

For more content including uni news, reviews, entertainment, lifestyle, features and so much more,  follow us on Twitter and Instagram or like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved!

BeautyFashionLifestyleStyle
  • Matthew Bird
    1 August 2020 at 00:33