Why We Were Born in the Right Generation

Ella Beadman

Many Gen Zers have adopted the saying “I was born in the wrong generation” feeling that they identify more with previous fashion trends, music tastes, and the simpler lifestyles associated with earlier decades. Yet more often than not, it is easy to view the past as a highlight reel glamorising what was, and falling into the trap of forgetting the societal issues that also characterised the decades before. While Gen Z gets a lot of flak as a generation, Ella Beadman, like many others, argues that our generation is one of the most progressive generations yet and that there is no better time to be alive than the present.

Body Positivity

Now more than ever we are living in an increasingly socially conscious world where all bodies are loved and celebrated, no matter what build or size a person is, all bodies are beautiful. The concept of body image skyrocketed in popularity on social media in the last decade with trends and movements emerging to give way to a healthy discourse around body image. Social media has sought to become a platform in which individuals can feel better understood, while also learning to understand and accept themselves.

Gen Z’s challenge to traditional norms is directing the beauty industry towards authenticity, diversity, and sustainability, setting a new standard for inclusivity

The fashion industry is experiencing a transformation in its outlook at the hands of Gen Z. High fashion brands such as Versace have started celebrating plus size models and having them showcase their designs. Other clothing brands such as lululemon have also launched inclusive sizing ranges in order to cater to bodies of all shapes and sizes. Gen Z’s challenge to traditional norms is directing the beauty industry towards authenticity, diversity, and sustainability, setting a new standard for inclusivity.

Activism

Although activism has long been synonymous with youth culture, Gen Z as a collective appear to be communicating, rallying, and mobilising support pushing for societal change in ways that sets us apart from generations before. With social media blackouts, boycotts and protests, our generation makes use of our voice in all the ways it can. While our relationship with technology has often been labelled as damaging, addicting, and much more, it has actually created a space for us to have constant access to the news and a shared space to voice our opinions.

The complexities of the present are a result of the drive for change in order to create a new, progressive, and inclusive world

We are unable to turn away from the current political and environmental discourse, so instead we are being propelled forward to make change. Research has shown that globally, 70% of Gen Zers are involved in a political or societal cause. So, while some may crave the simplicity of the past, the complexities of the present are a result of the drive for change in order to create a new, progressive, and inclusive world.

The Best of Both Worlds

Another thing that Gen Z is good at doing is making the best of both worlds. Fashion trends, music platforms and streaming services allows us to access all of our favourite elements of the past while living in a more progressive present. Many staples from the decades before are being used to inspire the current fashion scene. Recently we have seen the resurgence of claw clips, low rise and baggy jeans, biker shorts, and oversized blazers.

We have the luxury of being able to experiment with all eras like no other generation has been able to before

The combination of styles from past to present living in harmony to create an array of incredible styles and trends. For music taste, indulging in the hits from the past has never been easier as it is all available on streaming services such as Spotify. You can go from listening to ABBA, to David Bowie to Drake all in one playlist. We have the luxury of being able to experiment with all eras like no other generation has been able to before.

While I see the appeal of wanting to travel back in time to experience another generation, there has never been a better moment to enjoy the past and the present combined. So, while some may say they are born in the wrong generation, I believe I was very much born in the right one and the here and now is exactly where I want to be.

Ella Beadman

Featured image courtesy of Levi Guzman via Unsplash. Image license found here. No changes were made to this image.

For more content including Uni News, Reviews, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Features and so much more, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved.

If you just can’t get enough of Lifestyle, like our Facebook as a reader or contributor.