UoN ‘Project Transform’ underway

The University of Nottingham (UoN) has embarked on a long-term development called Project Transform.

The programme aims to ‘deliver joined up support systems and processes throughout the student lifecycle, across the whole University’, according to Tim Collins, Transformational Programme Director.

It is a plan to improve the internal operations of the University, to make the student learning environment more efficient and well organised.

“The University is clearly putting more time, effort and money into our learning”

The programme pledges to ‘put students at the heart of everything we do’ and claims to be more than an IT system implementation: ‘It is about delivering a solution that the people in the University value and feel ownership for’.

One of the first and most obvious steps of this plan is the new Moodle site. The online learning site for UoN has undergone an aesthetic transformation as well as becoming easier to navigate.

Impact spoke to students, who had mixed opinions about the new site.

“I’m indifferent… It might look better but I didn’t think there was anything wrong with the old Moodle”

George Hartley, a second year Law student, told Impact that he liked the changes to the site:

“The University is clearly putting more time, effort and money into our learning. I found the old Moodle site confusing at times, and the new site is a lot easier to use. It just looks better, which some students might think is unnecessary, but I like it”.

Florence Kennedy, a second year American and Canadian Studies student, was less enthusiastic about the changes:

“I’m indifferent to the new Moodle”, she said. “It might look better but I didn’t think there was anything wrong with the old Moodle”.

“The University is putting money and expertise into improving how they work… it is the current students that will see the benefits of this Project”

The changes to Moodle are just a small part of the Project Transform programme. External project managers and specialists will support the plan to improve the internal workings of the University.

Initial priority areas include timetabling, admissions, student finance and billing, visa applications, examinations, student welfare and support, alumni contact, employability, student to tutor interactions, student settling in and graduation.

George continued: “If the University is putting money and expertise into improving how they work, that can only be a good thing. It is the current students that will see the benefits of this Project, and the new Moodle is clearly just the first step on this programme”.

Beth Rowland

Image: University of Nottingham

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook