Freshers’: Expectation vs. Reality

Becoming a Fresher is most students’ first real taste of freedom and widely recognised to be the best week of your life. So it’s no wonder that we have high expectations for university life as a Fresher. However, many returning students will have a more cynical outlook on Freshers’ and realise that on top of being struck down by Freshers’ Flu, you will probably come across a number Freshers’ Week bombshells that you didn’t sign up to.

Student Loan
Expectation

6840568965_0b388474e7_b

When you receive your first instalment of student loan you will be left feeling like King Midas. Jägerbombs are on you and that £250 shopping spree and endless Dominos orders won’t even scratch the surface of your hefty bank balance.

Reality

3580748194_9002a9781b_o

Once you’ve forked out on your overpriced student accommodation (if your loan even covers that) you will realise that your student loan really isn’t a lot of money. You will spend the next three to four months living off pasta and baked beans and the Tesco Everyday Value range will become your life saver.

Student Halls
Expectation

318368965_1467454a54_b

Considering the dent that the cost of living in halls leaves in our student loans, you will come to University with the vision of a stylish sanctuary with a double bed scattered with cushions and photograph collages covering every inch of wall space.

Reality

61374980_f260fc1aba_b

Forget the double bed, your mattress will more than likely dip in the middle and you will spend many a night being impaled by springs. The floor will be strewn with Dino’s takeaway boxes and random leaflets and vouchers you have accumulated from Freshers’ Fair. The only time you’ll be able to see your carpet, let alone hoover it, is at Christmas when your parents come to pick you up.

Coursework and Deadlines
Expectation

2200198472_7ac895f9b2_b

Before you arrive at University you will convince yourself that you are going to transform yourself academically. You will be organised, attend every lecture and pull an incredible work ethic from thin air. You will more than likely have bought every single book on the reading list and have spent a small fortune in WHSmith on stationary that you are certain will get you a 2:1.

Reality

2533808944_2c6d1cea38_b

You will leave the majority of your coursework until the last couple of days before the deadline and you will be no stranger to all–nighters. You will come to realise that if you go out during the week the majority of the following day will be a write-off and 9am lectures will become an extremely rare sighting.

Your image
Expectation

5465873884_b9bd81e5d0_b

University is a fresh start and a chance to reinvent yourself so you are going to make your best efforts to look good at all times, from nights out to just doing laundry, as you need to make a good impression.

Reality

4645303109_b8e1b68fd2_b

You will almost certainly end up going to lectures with remnants of UV paint from the night before on yourself or get caught out doing the walk of shame in last night’s fancy dress. Even if you’re not hung over, your outfit choices will be based upon what doesn’t need ironing and if things get really bad you may even dabble with the joggers/flip-flop combo.

Your flatmates
Expectation

Enjoying party

You will envisage that all your flatmates will be the coolest people you have ever met. They will all have similar interests to you and within one week of moving into your new flat you will have met your best friends for life.

Reality

4103375282_85915d01c9_o

These people are randomly selected to live with you so the chances are you probably won’t get along with them all. Any communal areas will become a mess very quickly and you will probably spend a lot of first year leaving passive aggressive notes telling your flatmates to get rid of their lumpy milk or unclog their hair from the shower plug.

But even though your Fresher dreams may be crushed with the reality of becoming a poor, impoverished student, being a Fresher is an unforgettable experience and you will always look back on your first year at University as being the best time of your life.

Abby Ross

Follow Impact on Facebook and Twitter.

Photo Credits: ucluphotosoc via Compfight cc, Tom Wolf | Photography via Compfight cc, Galveston.com via Compfight cc, breezy421 via Compfight cc, NoHoDamon via Compfight cc, Pragmagraphr via Compfight cc, Karmalize via Compfight cc, Ktoine via Compfight cc, betta design via Compfight cc, Mustafa Sayed via Compfight cc, Mario Inoportuno via Compfight cc.