Rate Your Plate @ The Pudding Pantry

The Pudding Pantry, located in Nottingham’s Trinity Square, prides itself, among other things, on its delicious homemade desserts available throughout the day; perfect, in theory, for all those sweet- toothed pudding fanatics. But close-up, the name doesn’t seem so appropriate. Excluding their selection of homemade cakes, there are only a mere five deserts to choose from, a surprisingly disappointing selection for a cafe whose title focuses around the word ‘pudding’.

The prices are pretty standard at around £5 per desert, though the presentation and portion sizes are a far cry from the professional photos featured on their website. The four perfectly rounded pancakes I ordered certainly tasted delicious, but are hardly comparable to the syrup-smothered tower they advertise online.

pancakes

Expectation

20141003_130605

Reality

Having said that, what they lack in the variety of desert choices, they make up for in quirky breakfast and lunch options that, starting from £3.95 for a sandwich, are far more reasonably priced.

The cafe itself is bright and freshly decorated in subtle pastel colours with a huge glass window that spans the whole length of the cafe and overlooks their quaint picket-fenced outdoor eating space (which is full, even on this chilly October morning.) Both are looked after by staff who epitomise the phrase ‘service with a smile’ , something which is refreshing in a city centre where it has become increasingly difficult to find. My friends (who I dragged along to get fat with me) and I were served by various waiters who were more than attentive. The staff are a huge part of why, aside from my criticisms, I understand why The Pudding Pantry is so popular. But despite enjoying the desert (or two) that I tried and being impressed by the standard of service, the truth is, I just wasn’t ‘wowed’ by The Pudding Pantry overall.

Mackenzie Orrock

Follow Impact on Twitter and Facebook

Image Credits: stacyvitallo via Flickr, thepuddingpantry.co.uk

FoodFood Reviews