A great way to use up that forgotten bag of apples at the back of your cupboard. This compote can be served warm or cold AND can be frozen. Super satisfying and healthy with no refined sugar!
For the compote:
- 4/5 medium sized apples
- 2 handfuls frozen red berries
- 3 tbsp Honey
- Splash of Red Wine (preferably Mulled)
For the chips:
- Peel from the apples
- Coconut oil
- Desiccated coconut (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Peel the apples and scatter peel across a baking tray
- Rub coconut oil through the peel and sprinkle with cinnamon
- Place in the oven for 40 minutes, turning halfway
- Place under grill for 5 minutes to toast, be careful to watch them so they don’t catch!
- Core the apples and chop them roughly into quarters
- Place in a boiling pan with the berries with enough water to just cover them
- Bring water to the boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes
- Drain off some of the water and add the cinnamon, honey and the wine
- Reduce the apples and berries down until completely soft and mash with a fork or potato masher
Serving suggestion: on top of Greek yoghurt with honey and dates!
Image Credits: Rosa Lowis and Siobhan Bickerdike via Flickr