Oh so simple, but oh so effective – this gloopy, rich chocolate cake is the perfect remedy for long days in front of the books.
1 cup buttermilk (or add 1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice to milk )
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tbsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
½ cup cocoa
1 cup strong hot coffee
- Pre-heat oven to 180?/350°F/Gas 4.
- In one bowl mix the buttermilk, oil and eggs together.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Add cocoa to dry ingredients.
- Combine the liquid ingredients and beat well for around 2 mins.
- Then slowly add 1 cup of hot coffee and beat it in well.
- Grease and line your baking tray with grease proof paper (or simply oil/butter your baking tray, put a small handful of flour in it and coat the whole baking tray.)
- Bake for 35-40 mins. Enjoy with or without frosting – both are equally delicious!
Image credit: Robyn Lee via Flickr