UoN storm to 2-0 Varsity lead with big basketball victories

The University of Nottingham (UoN) are off to a strong start in the 2015 Varsity Series with Nottingham Trent University (NTU) after dominating both the ladies’ and men’s basketball fixtures at the Capital FM Arena on Monday.

UoN Women’s Basketball reached triple figures for the first time in Varsity history with a 100-36 victory behind Danielle Fiacco’s 28-point MVP performance.

And the men’s team doubled UoN’s lead in the Series by beating Trent 82-56. Shooting guard and MVP Evan Carberry starred with 23 points.

The first Varsity trophy added to the ladies’ already dominant season, one in which they secured a +763 points difference on their way to becoming BUCS Midlands 2A league champions.

Captain Dominika Šplíchalová chipped in with an impressive 18 points of her own and Rebecca Janes added 12 to Uni’s remarkable tally.

Staunch defence from UoN was the key in the first half, and their offence turned it on in the second

In the late fixture, the men continued the dominance of the green and gold straight from tip-off.

Staunch defence from UoN was the key in the first half as NTU were kept at bay throughout and unable to convert long threes.

But UoN’s offence turned it on in the second half. Carberry nailed a succession of shots from deep, while skipper Patrick Daley drained several crucial free-throws and scored 14 points to open the score up.

Carberry led the attacks and moved the ball well around the perimeter as Trent tried to string together a comeback, but UoN’s lead never looked like being threatened.

The results give Uni an early 2-0 advantage over Trent with 17 events left to play over the next two weeks.

Varsity action resumes tomorrow with the dodgeball, lacrosse and futsal fixtures being played at Trent’s Clifton Campus, before the big ice hockey face-off on Wednesday night.

John Mastrini

@honzamastrini

Follow live Varsity updates on Twitter with @ImpactVarsity15

SportVarsity

21-year-old Ameri-Czech student of Politics & Economics at the University of Nottingham. Sports Editor @impactmagazine. FFC worshipper. European.