MPs to examine Brexit’s effect on universities

The impact of Brexit on Britain’s Higher Education institutions is to be examined by a group of MP’s.

The Education Select Committee is set to examine how British universities will still remain competitive. It will not examine how Brexit will affect University research and funding.

“The inquiry now gives an opportunity to those who value the rights of EU citizenship to make their views heard”

The inquiry will look at what it means for EU students and staff currently studying in the UK and what it means for British students who want to study and work in the EU.

The report will also look at the future of the Erasmus student exchange programme.

The report will outline what action the government needs to take to reduce the risks of Brexit and take advantage of opportunities for higher education.

‘There are 125,000 EU students and 43,000 EU staff at UK universities’

Neil Carmichael, chair of the committee, said: “The Education Committee is keen to hear from university leaders, academics, students and others as we examine the opportunities for higher education post-Brexit and consider what the government’s priorities should be for the sector going into negotiations with the EU.”

Currently there are 125,000 EU students and 43,000 EU staff at UK universities.

Dr Anne Corbett, author of the report of the LSE Commission on the Future of Britain in Europe on Higher Education and Research, told University World News:

“The inquiry now gives an opportunity to those who value the rights of EU citizenship to make their views heard and I hope they will do so in their thousands.”

Habiba Katsha

Image via: freestocks. License available here.

Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter