Hockey

Varsity 2017 Preview: Hockey

Despite two wins for the University of Nottingham (UoN) in the Water Polo and Netball on Sunday 8th may, the two Hockey fixtures on Monday 8th May remains pivotal in deciding the outcome of the Nottingham Varsity 2017 series.

Looking at the women’s fixture first, it has been an indifferent year for UoN’s Ladies Hockey team. In the league, they won just two games all season, finishing second bottom and narrowly avoiding relegation. Despite reaching the quarter finals of the BUCS Cup, it has been a disappointing season for the ladies 1st team.

“The same can be said about NTU’s season”

Whilst UoN have had a mixed season, the same can be said about NTU’s women’s 1st team. Much like UoN, they have won just one of their league games this year in the division below, narrowly avoiding relegation themselves. Despite a poor season for both teams, UoN are in a higher division, and the difference in class between the teams should prove to be enough to ensure a UoN victory in 2017, to follow on from the 7-0 rout last year.

“Couldn’t have done much more”

The second game of the day will see UoN’s men and NTU’s men compete for the fourth time this season. For UoN, it has been a near perfect season for the men’s 1st team.  UoN Men’s 1st’s won their Midlands 1A league, winning promotion back to the Premier Division, and reached the final of the BUCS cup, narrowly losing out to Loughborough on the day.

On the other side, NTU have had a much worse season, having only won three games all year. They finished second bottom of the same division that UoN have just won, and have lost all three fixtures with UoN this year, which gives UoN a big psychological advantage going into the 2017 match.

Last year’s event saw a close game, with UoN edging it 3-2 and this year should see a similar result. Although it will be tight, UoN would be expected to take the spoils in this encounter.

All in all, it should be a great evening of hockey on Monday 8th May, so make sure to get down to the Nottingham Hockey Centre and support the green and gold.

Harry Vogt

Follow @ImpactVarsity17 on Twitter or like the Impact Sport Facebook page for updates, previews and match reports throughout the Varsity Series.

HockeySportVarsity