Happening on Campus

Viking Invasion at Lakeside Arts

Saturday 25th November was the opening of a brand-new exhibition, Viking: Rediscover the Legend, at the Nottingham Lakeside Arts venue The Djanogly Gallery.

The exhibition, which is introducing University of Nottingham (UoN) students to England’s Viking past, is bringing together internationally significant artefacts from the British Museum and York Museums Trust.

Clare Pickersgill, the Keeper of the University of Nottingham Museum, believes England’s Viking past can help rediscover Nottingham:

“The Midlands was such an important Viking region, and people are unaware. It would be very nice for people to come along and rediscover the heritage, [and] get to know their city in a different way.”

“The Midlands was such an important Viking region, and people are unaware”

The exhibition is open to public free of charge from Saturday 25 November to Sunday 4 March.

Along with the exhibition, the museum is holding a wide range of events from free talks with renown scholars, to handicraft workshops and handling sessions with replica artefacts. This will provide a glimpse into the everyday life of the Vikings.

Students living on campus are invited to participate in the Viking Games on 3-4 December.

Clare told Impact that the “Viking Games are going to be held between the different halls of residence within the University.”

“Viking Games are going to be held between the different halls of residence within the University”

Further information of the Viking Games states that ‘Halls will compete against each other in four Viking-inspired rounds over two days – tug-of-war, Viking quiz, Hnefatafl (board game) tournament and Norse-inspired poetry slam – to win the opportunity to have a Hall event of their choosing to be Viking-ified.’

Clare is encouraging students to get in touch with the Museum if they want a gallery tour, or are thinking of holding an event:

“You’ve seen the TV programmes, you’ve seen the films, now come and see the real thing.”

Find out more here.

Goda Naujokaitytè

Featured image courtesy of ‘Matt Buck’ via Flickr. License here.? Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter for more updates and information on how to get involved.

Happening on CampusNews