Happening on Campus

IMPACT ON THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL: DAY 2

The second day of campaigning for SU elections has been snowy and windy, but the candidates persevere and are chatting to students around campus.

In the unusually quiet Portland building, Impact first catches up with Pete Lendon who is running to be your next SU President.

“It’s going really good. Obviously, the snow is having a big impact. There’s not that many people on campus. We’re really trying to push social media. My video is going out at 5 tonight, so it’s a big day,” Pete tells Impact.

Her friends are helping her out with the campaign. They’re moving back-and-forth between Portland Building and Hallward Library today.

Cassie O’Boyle, who is running to be re-elected as Education Officer, wasn’t scared off by the cold this morning. Campaigning next to Hallward, she tells Impact: “We’re trying to engage people on social media, because no one really wants to be outside. But it’s going well, I think. We’ve had quite a lot of votes already.”

Zoe MacKenzie and her friends, all wearing ‘Zoe for Equal Opportunities and Welfare’ shirts, are also at Hallward. “I think the weather has put a lot of people off,” shares Zoe. However, the cold isn’t stopping her. Like the others, she’s actively campaigning on social media.

Back in Portland, we run into Aanchal Rawal, a candidate for the role of International Officer. She’s having a well-deserved break at the Hub, and is planning her next moves for the campaign. “First day was really good, second day is a bit slow,” says Aanchal.

You can catch all the candidates Impact talked to at Ocean tonight. “Campaigning is the best at Ocean. There’s eight of us going tonight,” says Cassie, who already has experience campaigning there last year.

It’s going to be Anchal’s first Ocean Friday: “I’ve never been to Ocean, so it’s going to be my first time.”

Goda Naujokaityte

Images courtesy of Kristina Kiminiute.

Follow our SU Elections 2018 coverage on Twitter and Facebook

Happening on CampusNews