University of Nottingham changing clean coal technology in China

The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) is playing an important role in developing new technologies to harness energy from coal in a much cleaner and efficient way in the People’s Republic of China.

The University will be working with a group of collaborators including East China University of Science and Technology, Tsinghua University and some other state-owned companies.

The construction of a large-scale coal gasification unit in Shandong province will start in late 2018 and is expected to be finished in 2020. It will allow 4,000 tons of coal be converted into synthesis gas or syngas per day, which will be used as a fuel, from a clean process.

“It is important that the University of Nottingham Ningbo China takes a lead, along with our research and industry partners, to rethink how we exploit our coal reserves”

Professor Wu, Dean of the Faculty of Science and Engineering, said: “It is important that the University of Nottingham Ningbo China takes a lead, along with our research and industry partners, to rethink how we exploit our coal reserves and produce innovations that will improve our energy efficiency and achieve large-scale coal gasification.

“These efforts will enable the highly efficient production of bulk chemicals, electricity as well as synthetic natural gas, which are in high demand in China […]”

Junzhi Yan

Featured image courtesy of Andrey Filippov ??? via Flickr.
Follow Impact News on Facebook.