Spar shops at Portland and Jubilee are officially Zero Food Waste

All leftover food will be donated to social supermarket Foodprint, which works to tackle food poverty in Nottingham.

University of Nottingham Student’s Union (UoNSU) and Foodprint collaborate to create “Zero Waste” stores.

“collect and redistribute surplus and waste food from the two Spar stores in the Portland building and the Exchange building.”

Foodprint has recently announced their partnership with UoN’s Student Union, in the hopes of tackling the volume of wasted food on campus. They have ongoing support from Bonni Jee, the SU’s Environmental and Social Justice Officer, who aims to widen the scope of the #WasteNott campaign. The collaboration aims to collect and redistribute surplus and waste food from the two Spar stores in the Portland building and the Exchange building.

“aiming to provide welfare to the most needy, through the power of business”

Foodprint was birthed in April 2016, when a small group of students, including Katie Clubb (UONSU Activities Officer and former Foodprint team member) and Lee Taylor (Director of Foodprint), drew attention to the scale of food waste and food poverty in Nottingham.

Foodprint C.I.C is a not-for-profit, student-led social enterprise at UoN, aiming to provide welfare to the most needy, through the power of business. They collect any surplus food which their partners cannot use, it is then resold at very low prices through their social supermarket in Sneinton. This ultimately helps bridge the gap between those relying on food banks and people who can afford regular supermarkets.

Lee Taylor, the Director of Foodprint and Katie Clubb (UON SU Activities Officer) released a joint statement detailing the benefits of the new “Zero Waste” Spar stores. It confirmed the introduction of daily collections in the late evening from both stores, and the redistribution of all foods that would typically be thrown out.

“We’re incredibly proud of this new partnership, which allows the Students Union to move towards a more sustainable future.”

Taylor said, “We’re incredibly proud of this new partnership, which allows the Students Union to move towards a more sustainable future.”

It also outlined future plans to transform all food outlets on both University Park and Jubilee Campus, into Zero Waste stores.

“eliminate food waste while contributing to reducing food poverty in Nottingham”

Jacob Collier, UoN’s Community Officer shared his approval of this environmentally positive move, saying: “I am really pleased that the SU has partnered with local social enterprise Foodprint… this enables our shops to eliminate food waste while contributing to reducing food poverty in Nottingham, helping the most vulnerable locally. I want to congratulate Lee Taylor from Foodprint and our shop manager Kristian Bennett for securing this partnership which will benefit those most in need.”

The Students’ Union will continue to strengthen their working relationship with Foodprint to work towards a healthier, more sustainable Nottingham.

More information on Foodprint can be found here.

Amirah de Bourg

Article images courtesy of Lee Taylor via Facebook. 

Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter.

Breaking NewsHappening On CampusHappening on Campus