Food

Ed’s Easy Eats: Tray Roast Chicken with Root Vegetables

Ed’s very first recipe of his series of ‘Ed's Easy Eats’: Tray Roast Chicken with Root Vegetables

This is a very easy and economical dish that lets you cook in bulk to alleviate that all too familiar dinner stress. Whilst this recipe will give you a range of seasonings and vegetables, this is merely a base from which you can build and utilise your culinary skills on. This recipe uses chicken thighs, often overlooked as the worse cut of meat but with the right seasoning and cooking, it is the unsung hero of the student kitchen. I have chosen to add squash to this recipe because it is comforting at this time of year but any vegetable works well.

Preparation time: 5 minutes

Cooking time: 30 minutes

Serves: 3 – 4

Ingredients:

• 1kg of skin on chicken thighs
  • Few garlic cloves
  • Seasoning of choice (for this I used garlic powder, chilli and pepper)
  • Half a butternut squash (any vegetable will do – aubergine works particularly well)

Method:

1 – Preheat the oven to 180oc. Take the chicken out of the package adding your seasoning of choice, my favourite is garlic powder, chilli and black pepper, to the non-skin side. To the skin side add just salt as this allows it to crisp up. Chop into medium sized pieces your vegetable of choice, I tend to use squash or aubergine

2 – Place a high sided baking tray on the hob over a medium heat. Add olive oil to the tray with a few garlic cloves with the skin still on. When the oil begins to sizzle place the chicken in the pan skin side on. You are looking to add colour to the skin but make sure not to burn it

3 – Once the skin is at the desired colour, place the chicken skin side up and place the vegetables around it. Generously season with salt and pepper and place into the oven

4 – Cooking time will be around 25/30 minutes but keep an eye on it and give it a shake every 5 to 10 minutes. If you want to crisp it up further, turn it on to fan grill for the last 5 minutes at 200oc

5 – Once the chicken is cooked, pull it out and serve on a bed for fluffy basmati rice (or any carb tbh) and add your favourite sauce

Further recommendation:

The recipe makes enough for ¾ meals so what is left over goes great in a wrap, salad or pasta for the next day’s lunch on campus.

Edward Camilleri

Image courtesy of Edward Camilleri

For more food recipes follow Impact Magazine on Facebook and Twitter.

FoodLifestyleNutritionRecipes