Nottingham’s Best Christmas Cocktails

Ellie talks us through the best Christmas cocktails that Nottingham has to offer.

In yet another example of how I suffer for my art, Nottingham’s cocktail scene this holiday season is full to the brim with festive favourites and some more off the wall Christmas creations.

Revolution

Always one for the themed cocktails, Revolution offers seven new festive concoctions to tingle your jingle bells, from a Violet G&T to a foamy cup of butter beer (complete with sparkler!).

For the sweet tooth – try the Sugarplum Punch (£8.75), if a sugar rush is what you wished for this year, look no further: Ketel One vodka, vanilla liqueur and a Jelly Baby flavoured shot are combined with strawberry puree and pineapple. Served in a sprinkle-dipped glass.

What’s even better? All Christmas cocktails are 2-4-1 during Happy Hour.

Slug & Lettuce

Slug & Lettuce might not be what first comes to mind when you think cocktail night, but this year their festive menu is worth trying something, from a glittery pornstar martini, to a creamy glass of dairy-free and vegan-friendly Baileys almande.

Their festive take on a classic mojito with cherry brandy and puree (£8.75) topped off with a candy cane will have you carol singing all the way home.

This writer’s personal favourite on the menu was a Snowball martini: a vodka and Baileys chocolat Luxe boozy hit with the subtle addition of coconut. Perfect for someone who wants to keep it classy without too many Christmas bells and whistles.

The Hockley Arts Club

If you haven’t frequented the worst kept secret in Nottingham yet, you’d better make it an early New Year’s Resolution to get there in time for their brand-new Christmas menu.

“In true Hockley Arts fashion, most of the cocktails on this menu have some sort of mad-scientist twist.”

In true Hockley Arts fashion, most of the cocktails on this menu have some sort of mad-scientist twist. From edible snow to a mince pie reduction, these are garnishes even the Grinch would love.

If you’re after something strong, try the Santa Babycocktail (£7.95). This one doesn’t mess around with how boozy it is: crème de menthe, absolut elyx and frosted mint syrup – it tastes exactly like a candy cane!

Nottingham Winter Wonderland 

On the off-chance you haven’t seen the gigantic, two-storey Alpine ski chalet constructed bang in the middle of Market Square, make sure to add it to your Christmas bucket list. If a winter warmer is what you’re after, settle down in one of the booths with a Baileys hot chocolate for £5, or wrap up in Nottingham’s own ice cocktail bar.

400 Rabbits

If you’re looking for something a little different this Christmas, why not try the ‘Cocteles de Navidad’ at speciality tequila bar, 400 Rabbits, which is tucked down Hurt’s Yard (near Pieminister).

I’d have to recommend the Atole de chocolate (£7) for anyone wanting to try something a bit different. Having never tried tequila in a chocolate based cocktail I was sceptical, but the bitterness of the dark chocolate really complements the tequila and the vanilla and cinnamon give it a deep flavour without being too sweet.

“The cherry on top of this bar’s festive menu, is that you’ll be supporting the work of Emmanuel House.”

The cherry on top of this bar’s festive menu, is that you’ll be supporting the work of Emmanuel House, with £2 from each cocktail going to help homeless and vulnerable people all around Nottingham. Now that sounds like Christmas spirit to me!

Ellie Chance

Featured image courtesy of daspunkt via Flickr, no changes made to this image. Image license can be found here.

Article images courtesy of Ellie Chance. 

For more Food Articles follow Impact Magazine on Facebook.

FoodLifestyle