Beauty

Fashion Lowdown: A Look at the New Jonas Brothers Music Video

Megan walks us through the show-stopping looks of 'Sucker'.

After a six-year hiatus, the Jonas Brothers have finally  returned—Wes Anderson style. Releasing their new music video for ‘Sucker’, on February 28th, the highly-anticipated single marks an epic comeback for the American boyband. Earning endless bragging rights with the fifth highest debut of 2019 on YouTube, the trio are on a major career high, scoring the No. 1 spot on Billboard’s Hot 100 for the first time ever. In a haze of satin and art-nouveau, we take a look at the bold fashion choices behind the Jonas Brothers’ return to the charts.

A love-letter to their significant others (I’m not crying, you are), the pop-rock single features our favourite brothers serenading their favourite girls in the castle from The Favourite (2018). Filmed at Hatfield House in Hertfordshire, otherwise known as Queen Elizabeth I’s childhood home, the music video parodies the award-winning drama with endless rabbits and the most extra tea parties you have ever seen. Serving major looks, Priyanka Chopra, Sophie Turner, and Danielle Jonas are at the beating heart of this video, making dog-walking, hedge-trimming, and lawn-mowing seem glamorous—all you need is a pink tulle gown and unreasonable amounts of feathers.

Directed by Anthony Mandler, a frequent collaborator with Rihanna, Jay-Z, and Beyoncé, the visual artist came out of music video retirement to document the boyband’s reunion. And with montages channelling Beetlejuice and Alice in Wonderland, fans old and new have certainly caught the lovebug again. With the task of directing the brothers and their leading ladies, Mandler’s reimagining of period-drama debauchery explores the dynamics between each real-life couple, all the while caught up in a fashion dream.

An explosion of haute-couture and over-the-top accessories, the dramatic styles of each ‘Jonas Sister’ reflected their individual personalities. Clad in large statement jewellery and towering headpieces, Priyanka Chopra’s exaggerated ensembles revolved around all things luxury. Daring to bare in a low-backed golden dress, the tactically draped material of the gown showcased Chopra’s famous curves in a scene that leaves Nick Jonas wanting more.

As for Sophie Turner, the notoriously funny actress went for a more playful look. Caught between oversized ruffles and corseted leotards with fishnet tights, Turner’s dark humour is captured in the video as we see a tied-up Joe Jonas hanging from the ceiling, his stylish fiancée watching on.

Modelling the most girly of outfits for the music video, when it comes to Danielle Jonas—think pink. Lost in layers of tulle and glitter, this Jonas sister served major Carrie Bradshaw vibes and we are loving it. Opting for pastel shades and less daring silhouettes, Kevin Jonas’ leading lady kept it classic, oozing old Hollywood glamour with a touch of Tim Burton drama.

Though their looks may have been way less dramatic, the brothers were still as dreamy as ever. Keeping it smart in tailored suits, the boys delved into an eclectic range of modern designs. Experimenting with sequin embellishments, regency-style embroidering, and monochrome, the boyband kept things interesting. With ‘Sucker’ offering a taster of the Jonas Brothers’ phenomenal comeback, we look forward to seeing what the newly reunited boyband has in store for 2019.

Megan Bull

Main Image courtesy of @jeanette_teoh via Instagram.

Featured Images courtesy of @priyankachopra, @sophiet, @daniellejonas, and @joejonas via Instagram.

If you would like to write about fashion and beauty, drop us an email at lifestyle@impactnottingham.com.

BeautyFashionLifestyleOpinionsStyleStyle Profiles