Lifestyle

What are the World’s Most Stylish Cities?

Harriet tells us which cities know their Prada from their Balenciaga.

Spoiler alert: Nottingham hasn’t made the cut.

Paris, France

Paris is a fashion mecca that hosts an annual fashion week encouraging people from all over the world to see outfits as eccentric as their designers. It is home to some of the biggest names such as Coco Chanel and Yves Saint Laurent, lending Paris an element of class and sophistication while making it kind of (very) pricey. Effortless elegance or dressing nonchalantly, as if you got up and picked the first thing out of your wardrobe, is the way to do it. While you sip on your black coffee and indulge in delicacies on the ‘typically French’ cafés, do it with not a care in the world. You can visit the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triumph or just admire the Parisian charm… because Paris is always a good idea, whatever you do.

Tokyo, Japan

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvMcQrchG_U/

Tokyo is a place that encourages you to ‘express yourself’ and be bold and daring when creating your style. Such a liberal approach has turned the city into the home of punks, goths, and individuals who manage to turn balloons into an outfit. It is considered cool for you to all wear the shame shade of clothing to establish your squad… but full on matching is a step too far. With such an evolving and inventive industry, there is a conscious effort to preserve its history through other means. Therefore Tokyo possesses many impressive temples and shrines such as the Meiji-jingu Shrine and Senso-ji Temple, which oddly fits alongside your elaborate clothing. If you want to see it all, Tokyo is your answer.

New York City, USA

The Big Apple boasts style. It is home to two of the most prestigious fashion colleges, The Fashion Institute of Technology and The Parsons School of Design, so clearly if you are interested in fashion, this is the heart of it. If you are going to go dress like a New Yorker, its all about the statement shoes. Whether you are catching the subway or off to dinner at Jean Georges (where food prices are as startling as the gossip), your shoes are the eye-grabber. Tall boots, thick heels, and bold colours, because black is boring. This goes perfectly with the ‘bright lights big city’ atmosphere where there is always a movie to see or the paparazzi hoarding a celebrity. So whether you are off to see the Empire State building or going to Central Park, go all out. In the city that never sleeps, you can never overdress.

Seoul, South Korea

Seoul is a city that encourages street wear with a hint of bling or a creative logo (but at much lower prices… finally!). You can give your feet a break as in Seoul, flats are your friend. True, it has not quite gained the recognition of places such as Milan and London, but it is on its way. Seoul also provides you with epic street food, museums, palaces, and temples. The old and the new become intertwined, as skyscrapers exist alongside markets and villages, making the trip a unique and unforgettable one.

Leeds, United Kingdom

Leeds style is defined by its funky and experimental outfit choices—essentially anything goes. High street shops are ditched for the quirkier vintage markets and stores where you can purchase camouflage trousers which are more likely to have been worn by a soldier instead of being produced in great numbers for the shelf. You can find all your Nike and Adidas sweaters, while selecting shirts and blouses splashed with the most inventive styles. But it is the idea of all the items being ‘one of a kind’ that makes Leeds known for its eccentric and unique style, which sits perfectly with the creative vibe the city emanates.

Often places where people dress well, they live well too, and even though trends seems to be getting recycled, fashion is constantly changing. Although I doubt it, in ten or twenty years’ time these places could be right at the bottom of our list! These cities have been designed to express their beauty through history, while appreciating the new, inventive approaches to style.

If you look good, you feel good right?

Harriet Mills

Featured Image courtesy of @marc_nouss via Instagram.

Main Images courtesy of @noortjeisabelle, @fabi_liv, @ericknyc_, @matt.tone , and @emilioskyriakides via Instagram.

Follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved.

LifestyleOpinionsPlacesStyle