Lifestyle

Style Icon: Carrie Bradshaw from ‘Sex and The City’

Anna tells us why Sarah Jessica Parker’s character is her style icon.

There is no doubt in anyone’s mind that Carrie Bradshaw, leading lady of the HBO hit Sex and The City, is a style icon. While from the title many think the show only concentrated on the sex lives and relationships of the four main characters, their style – and especially Carrie’s – is a key topic of discussion throughout all 6 seasons and even the additional movies.

To celebrate Sarah Jessica Parker’s recent birthday, we round up some of the best looks from her most notable character.

I think I can speak on behalf of everyone when I say it would be fantastic if wearing pyjamas in public was socially acceptable. I am ashamed to say there have been a couple of occasions where I have had one lecture in the morning and because the simple task of changing is too much for me to handle, I have thrown on a jumper over my pyjama top. Don’t worry though, I just about changed into tracksuit bottoms.

Unfortunately though, on a day to day basis, one cannot just roll out of bed and go about their life. Carrie, however, completely pulls this look off. Pairing the light, floral pyjamas with a fur coat, white gloves and pearls adds an expensive twist to the outfit. Can’t say she has convinced me on the sequin hat, though.

Sometimes, you cannot go wrong with a simple mini dress. A perfect staple, and an especially useful piece as we head into the summer months. As seen on Carrie in Season 2, she pairs her little black dress with some strappy heels, a Gucci bag and some aviators to create a classic look.

View this post on Instagram

This oft-requested outfit really distills Carrie down to her purest form – improbable chic. It certainly is her most resourceful outfit of the series. The use of Mr. Big’s crisp white button-down (no doubt Brioni) and his Hermès belt to highlight her waist is pure genius. Perpetually on-trend, Carrie’s knack for deconstructing and elevating basics anticipates the design ethos of the Vetements collective, further reinforced by the excessive sleeve and belt length. Only Carrie could turn this sartorial tragedy (a ruined Richard Tyler bias-cut dress) into an opportunity to let the Upper East Side know she’s got great legs. We’re also here for the slutty Annie Hall vibes that this outfit gives us. But BEWARE FOLLOWERS, this is a look not to be tried at home 🚫(S3/EP18) #CarrieBradshaw #Vetements #Hermes #AnnieHallMoment

A post shared by Every Outfit on Sex & the City (@everyoutfitonsatc) on

Probably my favourite look of the whole series is Carrie’s laid-back yet chic shirt dress outfit. While many girls love wearing their partner’s clothes, I do not think anyone has pulled it off as well as Carrie. Having borrowed one of Mr. Big’s white-button downs, she pairs it with a Hermès belt and Perspex mules. I think what I adore about this look is that it’s so incredibly simple, yet, in my opinion, timeless.

While a designer belt is out of a regular student’s budget, you do not need to spend a fortune if you want to pull this off. ASOS’s Mens section offer a variety of white shirts from as little as £10-20. Combine it with some basic heels and a black belt and you are good to go.

View this post on Instagram

This entire outfit. #dior #louboutin #carriebradshaw

A post shared by Carrie Bradshaw (@carriebradshaw_sexandthecity) on

While this will not be to everyone’s taste, and I would not necessarily wear it, I still absolutely love this on Carrie. The backless design and the silky material add a feminine touch to the outfit, even though its only black and white. The absence of any colour also make the red sole of the Louboutin’s pop even more.

While Sex and The City (and some trends Carrie wore) may be long gone, Sarah Jessica Parker’s character inspires us to go out of our comfort zone and be daring with our fashion choices, still to this day.

Anna Scott

Featured image courtesy of @_laura_hayes_ via Instagram.

Main images courtesy of @carriebradshawsc , @90s.inspiration@everyoutfitonsatc , @carriebradshaw_sexandthecity

If you would like to write Style articles for Impact Lifestyle drop us an email at lifestyle@impactnottingham.com

Follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved.

LifestyleStyleStyle Profiles