DMA’s @ Rock City

Almost a year after the release of their album ‘For Now’, DMA’s descend on Nottingham’s Rock City, delivering a performance saturated with energy. The band is an Australian three-piece made up of Tommy O’Dell, Matt Mason and Johnny Tock. As the stage is lit, the unassuming threesome transform into a six piece, providing an epic wall of sound.

“Immediately, the audience becomes a backing choir for lead vocalist O’Dell, with older and younger fans alike screaming lyrics”

Even as the band began to play at 8:30, the crowd continued to swell with people pouring in last minute to the sounds of ‘For Now’. Immediately, the audience became a backing choir for lead vocalist O’Dell, with older and younger fans alike screaming lyrics. This mixed crowd reflects DMA’s many influences which are prominently displayed throughout the set. Although they are frequently compared to Oasis, largely due to Tommy’s nostalgic Britpop vocals, the band contests that their primary influences are from bluegrass and punk sounds.

“During ‘Timeless’, as people clamber onto each other’s shoulders, it becomes difficult to discern if there are more people on the ground or in the air”

Throughout the gig, the crowd sang during the breaks, chanting the band’s name to fill the silences. Tommy stands centre stage and conducts the crowd with football hooligan spirit, compelling them to sing louder and jump higher. During ‘Timeless’, as people clamber onto each other’s shoulders, it becomes difficult to discern if there are more people on the ground or in the air.

“Instead, communication with the crowd is achieved through intense states and appreciating observation”

The band barely spoke throughout the performance, except to utter a few thank yous. Instead, communication with the crowd is achieved through intense states and appreciating observation. During ‘In the Air’, O’Dell quietly observes and at the end of each song he claps the crowd, indicating that they are as much a part of the show as the band themselves.

“The quieter interlude does not interrupt the persistence of the crowd’s energy which remains impressive throughout the show”

The band may be gaining success but there is a sense of authenticity and intimacy to the show. They achieved prominence with their debut single ‘Delete’ in 2014 which receives an enormous response from the audience, emblematic of a stadium gig. There is an inevitable sense that this is the future for DMA’s, small venues can’t contain that level of electricity. This stadium anthem sound is contrasted with an acoustic rendition of ‘The End’ which is a particular highlight of the show. The quieter interlude does not interrupt the persistence of the crowd’s energy which remains impressive throughout the show.

Despite being searched by security upon entrance to the venue, during the final song ‘Lay Down’, a number of flares were set off choking the venue with red smoke and contributing to the festival atmosphere.

9/10

Charlotte Gerrard and Eleanor Gray

Featured Image courtesy of Rock City via Facebook.