Interview: Trinity Square

Approved by Stormzy, Notts group Trinity Square, named after ‘Trinity Square’ in the heart of Nottingham, have been on an upward trajectory since releasing their last record. Huey, ZIA, YD, Baby Boy and Trizzy VS provide rap, singing, depth, pace changes and knock out hooks to confidently blend individuality with the power of a group. Emily Mae sat down to talk to the Nottingham lads about their latest release ‘Creepin’, and their recent rise to fame. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsvs1NOnQsu/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Your name is linked to the heart of Nottingham, how else would you say your musical identity is influenced by this city?

Some of us have very strong Nottingham accents & you can hear all our songs that we use Nottingham lingo and pronounce words similarly.

“It’s hard to identify our style as it’s so many styles incorporated into one sound…”

What are your favourite spots for a night out in Nottingham?

We go to events that pop up now and then as we’re friends with a few good and reliable promoters but like with every city it depends what you’re into. If you’re into baseline and similar genres then maybe Stealth and Rock City is your best bet, but if you’re an rnb head then Pryzm, or Ink is probably best.

How would you best describe your style?

It’s hard to identify our style as it’s so many styles incorporated into one sound if that makes sense. Everyone’s had their own walk of life and so our content is very different amongst us, but one thing we all have in common is that we’re all versatile. Most genres of music we can cover, most of us can hop between that wavey sound and rapping and obviously babyboy can actually sing sing for real.

Who would you say your biggest musical inspirations are, and how do you want to inspire your audience?

Again there’s variety with our inspirations as we all have our own sounds but as a group collectively we can agree from the UK that d-block Europe have been a big inspiration showing that you can believe in your own sound and not try imitate trending sounds to blow. Migos would be another big inspiration because of how they’ve taken their sound globally and become the world’s biggest group by how dominant and consistent they’ve been for years now.

“we’re driven on making a name for ourselves and really establishing ourselves in the industry”

With there being five of you in the group, how do you manage to balance creative ideas?

By not limiting anyone to anything, we encourage everybody to be as creative and inventive as possible and then as a team we cut that down and make that into a song. The minute you limit the creative process, you’ve ruined the song.

What would you say is the highlight of your journey so far?

It would be a toss-up between the sold out performance at Pryzm and opening for DBE at Kandi fest in Ayia Napa. Pryzm because 1000 people in the crowd knew us and went crazy for our music so the vibes were so high in there, but Kandi fest because there was 3000 people there and the stage and whole set up was huge so it was a lot to take in.

Do you think that British rap and grime are on the rise thanks to artists like Dave, AJ Tracey and Stormzy?

Yes 100%. Stormzy especially as Dave & AJ came after him but regardless all three have done a ridiculous amount for the scene. UK rap/grime scene was very much an underground thing growing up so watching Stormzy take that to headlining Glastonbury, AJ going platinum independently, Dave getting tens of millions of views on his own channel on multiple songs and working with Drake etc… we’re so appreciative of them opening the door for us.

Your latest single, Pattern, was shared by Kiss and Pulse 88 radio station – how does it feel to be recognised and gain such support?

It feels amazing to be shown support by such large and established radio stations because it’s a sign of progress in our work and it gives us motivation to try do better, e.g going from C list to rotations to A list rotations and getting more radio stations on board. 

The music video for Creepin has some very striking purge-esque visuals, but which of your music videos has been your favourite to shoot?

Even though it wasn’t the most creative or adventurous video we did, the pattern video was our favourite to shoot as we had our friends external from the group also there just sharing a drink and catching a vibe to all our unreleased music, it was fun.

Are there any themes that you would like your music to explore further in the future?

Most definitely, right now we’re driven on making a name for ourselves and really establishing ourselves in the industry so that’s our focus and purpose right now. But in the future when we start releasing more projects we’d definitely like to talk more about the larger problems instilled in our society.

“We’re sitting on so many unreleased BANGERS so you may see a small project this year…”

How did it feel to hear Young T and Bugsey tip you as the next big thing to come out of Nottingham?

It was good to hear as they were clearly the first to come out of Nottingham and take their sound nationwide so to receive support from established artists like them gives us more belief that we can push the boundaries and take Nottingham to the next level.

What are your next steps for 2019?

We’re sitting on so many unreleased BANGERS so you may see a small project this year but regardless we’re definitely trying to get more and more of this music out and let our music do the talking in the media and in the industry.

Emily Mae

Featured Image courtesy of Trinity Square’s official Facebook pageImage use licence here.

EntertainmentInterviewsMusicMusic Features