Freshers

Getting the London Experience in Nottingham

Whether you are a returning student or a fresher looking to explore your new home and city, let this article serve as your guide to making the most out of your time in Nottingham.

“While these big galleries may contain a Monet or two they are often full of tourists”

When visiting London many people talk of the culture to be found and explored, and often choose to do just that by visiting one of the numerous beautiful galleries, many of which are free to enter, including the Tate Modern and the National Portrait Gallery. And while these big galleries may contain a Monet or two they are often full of tourists and school children who only wanted to miss PE, so instead of fighting your way past a tour guide why not visit Nottingham’s very own Contemporary.

The contemporary is one of the largest contemporary galleries in the UK and showcases art from around the world. The gallery also offers a range of learning opportunities and events that reflect on today’s society and provoke stimulating discussions of culture and civilisation, all of which are free to everyone. Exhibitions at the gallery change regularly, so even if their last showcase wasn’t for you the next one might be.

“There are a lot of similarities between London and Nottingham”

Now when listing the top attractions in London an obvious choice would be Buckingham Palace, and while Nottingham may not be able to boast of a royal palace it does host the magnificent Wollaton Hall. Wollaton Hall is an Elizabethan home built in late 16thcentury and is arguably far prettier than Buckingham Palace. 

The house itself is set within Wollaton Park spanning 500 acres and is home to deer that roam the grounds. You can visit both the grounds and house (which featured in Batman: The Dark Knight) for free and with it being so close to park campus it really is a perfect afternoon out for students.

There are a lot of similarities between London and Nottingham, both are home to some of the greenest university campuses, both have their own famous lions and both boast of nightlives to be reckoned with. However, the similarities don’t end there: geographically the two cities can be seen as similar due to both being split by a river.

“I think it is fair to say that the city has just as much going on as the capital”

In London you will find many a boat trip offered along the river Thames to see the city from the water and Nottingham is no different. The river Trent divides Nottingham and lends its name to Trent University, and there are many different ways to experience the river. Whether you fancy afternoon tea on a cruise ship or walking along its banks there are many ways it can be enjoyed. Also if you are particularly lucky you might even experience a boat party social that cruises along the river after dark during your time at university.

So while Nottingham may be a bit further north than London I think it is fair to say that the city has just as much going on as the capital and often at a far cheaper price. So why travel when you can have just as much fun in your new city and home as a student as you would in London.

Kayleigh Moore

For more Freshers content, as well as uni news, reviews, entertainment articles, lifestyle, features and so much more, follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved! 

Featured image courtesy of Mike Kniec via Flickr. Image usage license here. No changes were made to the image.

If you would like to write Travel articles for Impact Lifestyle drop us an email at lifestyle@impactnottingham.comFollow us on Twitter and Instagram, and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved!

FreshersGoing OutLifestylePlacesTravel