Freshers

Pressure To Get ‘THE’ Pic

As the start of the new academic year approaches, most of us are looking back on our summer and all the things we got up to. Whether that’s touring the Australian outback, or simply sitting inside and watching as many episodes of ‘Friends’ as you’ve ordered take-outs.

Amongst all the nostalgia, for many of us (I purposefully include myself in this) we will gaze over our Instagram / Blogs / or simply our Camera Roll to see if our snapshots reflect an accurate representation of these summer mems…or put simply, did we manage to get some seriously sweet snaps.

Canggu Beach – Bali aka a surfers paradise

Since you asked, yes I did go travelling this summer. I’m a, took a gap year and did a ski season then went interlining kinda girl and when I felt that that wasn’t basic enough, I thought it was time I did the whole ‘Bali baby’ and ‘South East Asia’ adventures.

To sum it up, it will come to no surprise that it was truly one of the most incredible and eye opening adventures. Oh and on top of that loads (and loads) of fun.

However, while embracing the culture and cuisine, partaking in tourist activities and admiring some unbelievable views, I also saw toooooo many people stood…no sorry *positioned in those ‘Insta famous’ spots.

“Spending far too long trying to get the perfect shot, forcing mostly boyfriends to go there and back for approval”

Posing while spending far too long trying to get the perfect shot, forcing mostly boyfriends to go there and back for approval, lie down, or on tip toes, crouch or hold there hand and it got me thinking…have a day off love!

‘A shop in the sea’

We all hate to admit it, but with social media being a seriously influential factor in day-to-day life, people want to make sure their online persona reflects the more admirable qualities of their lifestyle, yet not necessarily the most realistic.

“people want to make sure their online persona reflects the more admirable qualities of their lifestyle”

Social influencers whose job it is to get ‘the’ pic set the bar seriously high and compel us to feel like we need to compete. Then when one of your friend gets a picture just as good or close enough, the competitiveness encroaches upon the friendship group forcing us to feel like we need our picture to be at least as good as our mates.

Snorkelling in Gili Meno

However, feeling like we need to copy, get the perfect picture or ‘do it for the gram’ results in people spending so much time and putting so much pressure on themselves that they are often denied the opportunity to embrace and be grateful for the environment around them.

“they are often denied the opportunity to embrace and be grateful the environment around them”

Sometimes, seeing a picture that you know wasn’t chosen out of a thousand or hasn’t been edited beyond belief is soothing for people to see, to remind them that its not about the ‘shot’ but rather living in the moment and having fun.

Home for a little while

Of course having said that, not to employ the cliche ‘pics or it didn’t happen’ I do agree that capturing a picture is also an ideal way to remember and reflect on all the adventures you have had.

“Sometimes, seeing a picture that you know wasn’t chosen out of a thousand or hasn’t been edited beyond belief is soothing for people to see”

I personally took hundreds of pictures when I went travelling of both the ‘it’ spots but also the simple things just to remind me of the trip I was lucky enough to take.

Its nice to show people what you’ve been up to, especially when you start University and are obliged to get stuck in with all the small talk, but people would rather see the more exposed and honest content then one of you stood looking out at the sunset.

So take you’re pic(s x1000) but remember not every picture has to be the best / perfect / mind blowing, because we all know life isn’t always so shiny. Keep it real, life’s way more chilled like that.

Harriet Mills

Featured Image and Main Images courtesy of Harriet Mills.

For more Freshers content, as well as uni news, reviews, entertainment articles, lifestyle, features and so much more, follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved!

Want to write for Impact lifestyle? Drop us an email at lifestyle@impactnottingham.com.

FreshersLifestyleTravel