Survival of the Fresher: 5 of the Best Recovery Foods

So, you’ve woken up feeling rough after a night at a fresher’s event. Who knows, maybe you’re even nursing a build-up of hangover symptoms from partying multiple nights in a row, or need to pick yourself up to go out again? Don’t panic – here are my top five hangover foods to help you survive the week feeling as fresh as possible.

Firstly though, a fun fact: if you’re hungover, you are almost definitely de-hydrated. Therefore, you need to remember that water is your friend! Next time you go out, be kind to future you and put a glass of water by your bed before you leave, so you don’t have to move an inch to re-hydrate the next day.

Option 1: A classic fry up. For those of you feeling traditional, I’d recommend a fry-up. It’s a particularly good choice if it’s the weekend and you’re in halls because, let’s face it, the hash browns are great. The main benefit of a fry up is the high salt and fat content. These will often satisfy your immediate cravings and help you feel like you’ve ‘soaked up’ some of your problems. (If you can’t face the full-on fry up, go for eggs on toast. Carbs and protein will definitely start you on the road to recovery).

“Smoothies and/or fruit are an excellent source of nutrients and vitamins, with the added benefit of helping boost your blood sugar level.”

Option 2: Fruit. If you fancy kick-starting your day with something healthier, this one’s for you. Smoothies and/or fruit are an excellent source of nutrients and vitamins, with the added benefit of helping boost your blood sugar level. Natural sugars are much better than processed ones, as lots of the latter can lead to a sugar crash later on. Try to fight the urge to eat a whole bag of Haribo in one sitting (tricky, I know, but you’ll thank me later).

If you’re going to make your own smoothie, whack a banana in there for some extra potassium. If you can’t be asked, then Innocent’s ‘Super Smoothies’ range is especially fab because they are packed with lots of vitamin goodness. Both shop-bought and homemade smoothies are a good bet either way, as they can help you out long-term instead of being a short-term fix.

Option 3: Chips ‘n’ dip. This one’s good for when you’re feeling lazy. Crisps provide the same salt and fat as a fry-up, but without the hassle of having to get up and cook. In my opinion, crisps are improved in every situation by the presence of some sort of dip. My dip of choice is always either some Thai Sweet Chilli Sensations or a Tex Mex dip selection (guac, sour cream and salsa). However, please bear in mind that this option will only offer short-term relief. You’re definitely going to need to eat something else afterwards (preferably something with actual nutritional value).

Option 4: My friend and yours, bread. This is a great option if you want something to fill you up, but is also plain enough to avoid unsettling your stomach. If so, any bread-based product will do! Hopefully you (or someone you live with) will have bread or crumpets in the cupboard that you can snack on either plain or toasted. Top tip: pretty much all bready carbs can be frozen; chuck a loaf/a packet of crumpets in the freezer on day one so that you can defrost some later on!

“Fizzy drinks do put you at risk of a later sugar-crash, but they might just get you through the roughest first few hours!”

Option 5: Fizzy drinks. Worst case scenario is that you’re feeling really queasy and you really can’t stomach any food. The best way to ease yourself in is to start with a short-term, processed sugar fix. Buy yourself a fizzy drink (I’d recommend Lucozade or Coke) and slowly sip it along with some water. It’s important to note that you will also need to eat something nutritious. Fizzy drinks do put you at risk of a later sugar-crash, but they might just get you through the roughest first few hours!

Whether you’re a fresher in halls, or a second, third or fourth year who wants to make the most of the first week of term, make sure you’ve got your hangover recovery game on-point, so you can focus on enjoying all the exiting events that a new university year has to offer!

May Perrin

Featured image courtesy of danstowell via FlickrArticle image courtesy of Marco Verch via FlickrImage usage license here

For more Freshers content, as well as uni news, reviews, entertainment articles, lifestyle, features and so much more, follow us on Twitter and like our Facebookpage for more articles and information on how to get involved! Also follow  @ImpactFood on Instagram for more uni food hacks. 

FoodFreshersGoing Out