Things to do on Campus During Freshers Week!

Alice Iron breaks down the best ways to spend for UoN students to spend their free time during Freshers Week!

With the bright lights of the city calling Freshers from up and down the country, it seems that the flashing lights of Nottingham’s bars and clubs is the only thing in sight. However, there is plenty to do much closer to home. Our beautiful campus has lots on offer to see and do! Below is your guide to the must do’s on campus.

“Cocktails, music and quizzes makes Mooch the perfect place to meet friends for a drink!”

Mooch – The student union bar is the best place to start, not only are the drinks affordable but their student friendly offers on cocktails, music and quizzes makes them the perfect place to meet friends for a drink! Mooch also has an amazing, inexpensive menu, ranging from burgers to fish and chips!

The Lake – Highfields boating lake is definitely a ‘must do’ on campus, the beautiful lake situated in front of the picturesque Trent building provides the ultimate campus activity. Whether its grabbing a coffee before a stroll around the lake or renting a boat to head out onto the water itself, the opportunities are never ending! The best bit – a walk round the lake won’t cost you a penny! Check out rental prices here: https://highfieldsboatinglake.co.uk

Adventure Golf – Located next to the lake, the Highfields Adventure Golf makes it on the must do list! The animal themed adventure golf has both a 9 and 18-hole option and is the perfect outdoor endeavour. Their student price is just £4! A reasonable cost for an activity with friends or maybe even a date day!

“The best cosy coffee shop? The Portland Café!”

Coffee – Now it’s no secret that the winter weather in Nottingham is less than ideal so for the days when it’s too cold to be canoeing, the campus coffee shops provide the perfect hangout! Are you really a student if you don’t spend far too much money on tea and coffee? Campus has lots of cafés where you can meet friends for a chat or have a study session. Both libraries on campus serve Starbucks coffee, as well as the Starbucks in Portland building and the best cosy coffee shop – Portland café! In Portland building itself, you never know what you might find. There are often vintage kilo fairs and bakery stalls as well – Never a bad thing!

Sports – It may not seem like the most obvious place to head on campus but David Ross Sports Village is a fantastic facility to make the most of! Whether it is hiring a badminton court, playing snooker or simply watching some of our amazingly talented sportsmen and women crushing the competition, this unsuspecting must do has something for everyone!

“The New Theatre is England’s only fully run student theatre”

Lakeside Arts & The New Theatre – Last but definitely not least, both venues host theatrical and cultural events. The Lakeside arts frequently holds exhibitions, gigs and performances many of which often tie in with course modules (https://www.lakesidearts.org.uk). The New Theatre is England’s only fully run student theatre and produces fantastic, student lead productions. There is always something exciting to go and see! You can keep an eye out for upcoming performances and buy tickets on the website (https://newtheatre.org.uk).

Alice Iron 

Featured image courtesy of Brian Adamson via Flickr. No changes were made to this image. Article images courtesy of @uniofnottingham and @nottinghamnewtheatre via Instagram. Image use license here.

For more Freshers content, as well as uni news, reviews, entertainment articles, lifestyle, features and so much more, follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved! 

FeaturesFreshersOn Campus