Vegan chicken made of two ingredients, sounds too good to be true! Seitan, which is essentially made of flour and water, has taken the vegan world by storm. It makes the perfect carbon conscious dinner choice.
Of course you need other ingredients to add all the flavour, but once you do it really is good and so much cheaper than buying vegan nuggets. Next time I want to try shaping it into a burger and layering with vegan cheese, gherkins and relish … Stay tuned.
- 560g plain flour
- 350ml water
- 2l vegetable stock
For the coating:
- Seasoning 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp paprika, ½ tsp thyme)
- Cooking oil (i.e. sunflower oil)
- 4tbsp cornflour
- 80g breadcrumbs
- In a medium bowl, stir the plain flour and water together until it forms a dough. Kneed the dough for 5 minutes then leave it in the bowl with a damp towel over for 1 hour.
- Place the dough in colander and knead it while running cold water over. Keep kneading until the water runs clear (place a bowl under and you will be able to tell easily).
- Stretch the dough back and forth five times, then shape into a 10 nuggets and simmer in the vegetable stock for 10 minutes. Drain the nuggets on a paper towel.
- Make a batter coating in a small bowl by combining corn flour with a little water and the seasonings. Dip each nugget in the cornflour mix then the breadcrumbs.
- Add the oil to a large frying pan, you need about 1 inch of depth, and heat until small bubbles form. Drop the nuggets in one by one and cook for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Drain the nuggets with a slotted spoon and enjoy with lots of tomato ketchup.
Featured and article courtesy of Victorian Hornagold.
For more content including uni news, reviews, entertainment, lifestyle, features and so much more, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved.
If you can’t get enough of Impact Lifestyle then like our Facebook page, or, join our group to get involved as a contributor. If you want to hear more from Impact Food, follow us on Instagram!