Varsity news: new sports and a shorter varsity series announced

University Radio Nottingham (URN), the University of Nottingham’s (UoN) official student radio station, has announced that the annual varsity series held between UoN and Nottingham Trent University is to be shortened.

Speaking on URN’s news show The Pulse, Kiri Madhani, UoN Students Union Sports Officer, revealed that the varsity series will be condensed into a three week period over Easter.

Madhani claims that this will increase audience participation in the series, and create a “massive buzz” about the events with students.

“We’re also looking to introduce a couple of new sports this year which is really exciting”

In the programme, Madhani also revealed that there will be new sports in the varsity series this year.

“We’re also looking to introduce a couple of new sports this year which is really exciting”, she said.

Madhani listed the new sports as cheerleading, volleyball and dodgeball. Table tennis, an existing sport in the series, is also set to get an audience for the first time.

“We’re also looking to take the sports to bigger and better venues – maybe Trent Bridge for the cricket”

Furthermore, Madhani spoke of improving the varsity events by taking them to new venues.

“We’re also looking to take the sports to bigger and better venues – maybe Trent Bridge for the cricket”, she said.

Debating the news on The Pulse, one student was excited by the prospect of the varsity series getting more coverage and attention from students.

However, another student pointed out that the three week period is just before exams.

“I’m not sure its the best decision considering its the three weeks before exams that we’re now trying to squeeze them all into… It will be dangerous to the degrees [of the players], [as well as] dangerous to spectators”, the student noted.

Beth Rowland

Image: Nottingham Trent University via flickr

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook