Vice Chancellor takes esteemed role as Chairman of the Russell Group

Professor Sir David Greenaway, Vice Chancellor at the University of Nottingham, has been appointed Chairman of the Russell Group Universities.

Vice Chancellor since 2008, Sir David is a Professor of Economics and occasionally finds time in his hectic schedule to lecture students of the university.

“It is a real honour to be asked to chair the board of this wonderful group of universities, and a great compliment to Nottingham that I have been invited to do this”

Sir David, the recipient of a knighthood for services to education and in the past an advisor to the UK government on key issues, says the group has a reputation grounded in their research standards and quality of students.

He told Impact: “It is a real honour to be asked to chair the board of this wonderful group of universities, and a great compliment to Nottingham that I have been invited to do this.”

The University of Nottingham proudly takes its place among the Russell Group of 24 universities, with a high standing internationally, being placed in among the top one per cent in the world, according to the QS World University Rankings 2014/15.

“It is an amazing achievement. After receiving a knighthood in 2014 he has now gone on to prove it was well deserved”

Along with these other universities, UoN plays a role in providing world-class teaching and learning and in working to maintain unparalleled ties with the public and business sector.

Vicky Lorriman, a first year English student, said: “It is an amazing achievement. After receiving a knighthood in 2014 he has now gone on to prove it was well deserved.”

Director General of the Russell Group Dr Wendy Piatt expressed her congratulations to Sir David on his appointment, saying his “experience, not only as Vice Chancellor of a world-class university but also as key adviser to government on a range of high-level issues including the training of doctors in the UK, and remuneration of the armed services, makes him an ideal choice for chair”.

The Vice Chancellor will take on the new role in September, adding to his list of roles including chairing Nottingham’s Education Improvement Board to raise standards of education in the city, a number of which were deemed ‘inadequate’ in previous inspections.

Jonathan McAllister

Image: University of Nottingham

Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter