Karni fundraising suspended over summer in line with new legislation

Karnival’s fundraising activities are to be suspended during the summer period as a review of its processes and governance takes place in line with the new Charities Act 2016 and fundraising legislation.

The suspension of Karnival’s fundraising activities for a short period during the summer has been agreed by the Students’ Union (SU) Board of Trustees with the goal to “improve” the current processes within the charity.

Recent government legislation imposes more controls over the relationship between charities and organisations that raise funds on their behalf, and will impact upon Karnival in various ways, both as a fundraising body in its own right and acting as a partner for other charities to fundraise on that charity’s behalf.

“[The suspension] is also required to ensure that, under the Charities Act 2016, there is adequate safeguarding”

The temporary break in fundraising activities has therefore been organised in order to ensure that a code of practice exists which follows the Charity Commision guidelines, the Fundraising Standards Association regulations and the Charities Act Legislation.

It is also required to ensure that, under the Charities Act 2016, there is adequate safeguarding not only of those who carry out fundraising activities, but those who are indirectly part of the activities.

The Karnival Director and Karnival Executive Committee have expressed their support for the changes and will be working closely with the SU Officers to “build on the success of Karnival and offer inspiring and expanded opportunities for the future”.

“Karnival continues to make a huge contribution to many charities through its fundraising activities”

Angharad Smith, President of the University of Nottingham’s Students’ Union and Chair of Trustees said on behalf of the Board: “Karnival continues to make a huge contribution to many charities through its fundrasing activities and to the local Nottingham community through its volunteering activities, as well as being a significant part of a great student experience for those taking part”.

“We look forward to Karnival returning with an improved working model and series of events. We are really looking forward to the future, and to taking Karnival’s fundraising and volunteering opportnities onto the next level”, she added.

“The volunteering activities which Karnival supports and leads on will continue with the support of the Student Volunteer Centre”

Despite the temporary pause in fundraising activity, the volunteering activities which Karnival supports and leads on, such as Kontact, will continue with the support of the Student Volunteer Centre.

All booked trips and previous commitments will go ahead as planned and reps have been informed that they can continue with fundraising activities as long as it is directly for the charity and not under the Karnival brand during the period of suspension.

Tamsin Parnell

Image: @NottsKarni via Twitter

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook